Vote for this request?
Yes
80%
 80%  [ 38 ]
No
19%
 19%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 47

Do We Need SVN Integration? (Don't Forget PhpED for Linux)

Related URL:

- Feature request thread: subversion - better integration than tortoise
- PHPEd for Linux

Currently, I use PHPEd + TortoiseSVN to work with Subversion. I don't have any problem with that solution. It's very convenient for me.

The problem is: My employer asked me to find the best IDE for our software company. Some of the developers use Linux. It means we cannot use TortoiseSVN. The mostly used GUI-based SVN client in Linux are SmartSVN and RapidSVN.

It would be nice if Nusphere can have out-of-the-box Subversion integration. What do you think? Are there better (easy) workaround for the problem?

Thanks.

Mercurial, Git and Bazr are all gaining significant mindshare and user bases (Sun, Linux, MySQL respectively.) So this really needs to be SVN + the widely used distributed RCS systems.

It's possible to do most of this yourself via configuration, but sure would be nice to just have all of that work done for you out of the box.

I agree.

I think that a full SVN integration would be a good feature. I do work a lot with SVN and it is annoying and very time consuming working with Tortoise Shell, since you can trigger each command one at a time and it has to be done in an explorer window! (Ctrl + RClick is not really a boost in usability *g*), a million and a half windows do popup, it's flashing and bumping, my fully scared cat jumps out of the window... Wink

If you take a look at VisualSVN (it's a plugin to the Visual Studio 2005 / 2008) it fully integrates Tortoise in the IDE and allows you to work with SVN over Tortoise in a more practical way. Basically you have at least the same functionality as Tortoise with more comfort and visual indicators.

Maybe it is a compromise, instead of having to develop an own integrated client Smile

I really think that Subversion integration would enhance PHPEd. In related news, Dreamweaver CS4 brings Subversion integration and there are huge benefits in coauthoring using Dreamweaver along with PHPEd.

A interesting CVS-Subversion comparison:
http://www.google.com/search?q=SVN+vs+CVS

amagrude wrote:
Mercurial, Git and Bazr are all gaining significant mindshare and user bases (Sun, Linux, MySQL respectively.) So this really needs to be SVN + the widely used distributed RCS systems.

It's possible to do most of this yourself via configuration, but sure would be nice to just have all of that work done for you out of the box.

I agree, having tighter integration in the IDE for Revision Control Systems would be an excellent feature for PhpEd. Often software purchasing decisions are based around the RCS - if PhpEd supports the major ones then it will stand a better chance in the comparisons.

Can we please have more source control apps integrated Smile

Thanks!

Sorry for waking up this dead topic.

After working a few years with PhpEd and Subversion, I would appreciate a tighter integration. I guess most people would love to have the same shortcuts in the phped workspace context menu, as TortoiseSVN places them in the windows shell. Usability would be so much better, if the extra click to the windows shell is avoided.
View user's profileFind all posts by matSend private messageVisit poster's website

@mat

Quote:
Usability would be so much better, if the extra click to the windows shell is avoided.

Try Strg+RightClick to jump directly to windows shell menu

greets
''cutie 28''

Smile Smile Smile ,

Thanks for the information you give that's a good help,and by the way i am sorry for my bad English too hope that you understand it

and i am newbie to these forum Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Exclamation
Do We Need SVN Integration? (Don't Forget PhpED for Linux)