NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Veteran

Some another example. Here is the font size at 9 set in the Windows Metrics, font is PT Sans Caption for shell subst. and for all the metrics, and your suggested 150% scaling: http://www.introne.com/scale150.jpg
The issue is still, again, that Tabs use size 8, so even if I want to use 150%, this is yet worse than 140% (140% scaling overall gives the best experience to me, well, except PhpED - maybe just a solution would be if Tabs use same font size as the Menu, above 8 if not custom value? That should help I believe).

I checked - right, 8pt is there. Unfortunately there is no way, at least not with current UI library we're using, to adjust font size for all the windows it creates to some custom value. There is only very hackish way which uses code modification on the fly at run-time. Definitely, this is not what we want to do because we don't want to jeopardize antiviruses. Code should remain readonly or or even executeonly. May be in future version that supports hi-dpi -- hope it provides this way, haven't checked yet.
Regarding 150% and 125% -- I suggested them only to minimize blur effect.
BTW can you check how this 140% DPI works with system-provided dialog windows? Try Tools->Accounts->Keys tab -> SSL defaults -> X.509 Certificate, click on the file, and click on the rightmost button that opens Open File dialog. Does it show normal font sizes?

Quote:
Tools->Accounts->Keys tab -> SSL defaults -> X.509 Certificate

It shows OS load dialog, so the font is good sized: http://introne.com/dialogfont.jpg
* good in the sense as the explorer and Windows Metrics.

Quote:
right, 8pt is there

So could it be just 9pt hardcoded instead 8pt? That would make a huge difference and should be enough I believe.

On the above image, the menu's size is 9, and Tab's size is 8. This is kind of strange magical size bound in Windows that makes the font immediately so tiny at size 8 in compare to 9 (way too much than the difference between 7 and 8 or 9 and 10).

Quote:
May be in future version that supports hi-dpi

Well, if it's related to Win32/Shell api, not sure MS will do sth reasonable ever.
Since ages this has not been changed, and they invest time to the "new" WinUI.

Quote:
So could it be just 9pt hardcoded instead 8pt?

Unfortunately, it's not that easy -- a) because we use some 3rd party libraries. We don't want to modify them and track our changes each time we update to newer version. Also hardcoding would affect all customers who are using 100% DPI for instance.
This is why I mentioned intercepting form creation at run-time instead of hardcoding changes and changing font when forms are created. Besides that, there is b) -- controls like checkboxes, labels, radiobuttons etc don't extend their text width automatically with font change. If pre-allocated space at design time is not wide enough to be shown fully with larger font, label text will appear cut on the right.
I think solution with auto-scaling forms with DPI scale (aka support for HI DPI) is more viable solution unlike relying on font adjustments. Corresponding library already supports it but there is another obstacle for us - new IDE that comes with this library works on Win10 only and our latest tests show that the IDE has some problems that may affect our work. Last version that works on Win7 and doesn't have these problems, has code-generation problem that that hasn't been fixed and seems won't be.

Ok, thanks dmitri for the replies. So I need to use/adjust the worst/ugly solution/workaround then, and so on. Maybe some day.

I didn't mean we're not moving toward ideal solution and HI DPI in particular. Just wanted to let you know - it's not easy and there are some problems. I hoped, really hoped to get this already finished by December 2021. But it's not even halfway passed.

I gave up, there is no solution. Overall nothing works well on 1920x1080 on 13 inch screen.
That was a huge mistake to buy something like this to begin with.

Everything or too small/tiny or too huge/bold. Nothing unified. The suggested scaling of 150% is nothing more than a mistake.
Marketing b*** of the Full HD. So modern, so cool... so terrible, lol.

I've sold this thing (can't be named a screen even) and got Dell with 2560x1600 resolution on 13 inch screen. That has any sense and all works well. Same as native 1280x800 on 13 inch screen. This is 2x scaling, so even Windows 11 exchanced scaling works quite cool. Also there is some nice article to read which I've found: https://computators.com/2018/05/11/the-obsession-with-1080p-fhd-screens-on-laptops-is-ridiculous/

Yes, I was aware, in theory, that resolution 1920x1080 on 13 inch is not going to be great, but I was wrong, and I was not realizing that it's so terrible, a huge mistake.

Anyway, thanks for your time.

Thanks for sharing this info.
I want to make it a bit clearer -- you mean this particular laptop model not working good in HD resolution and switching over to 2.5K (with 1:2 scale ratio) fixed the problem for you, correct?

To be clear. The old laptop with 13 inch screen and 1920x1080 resolution was a huge mistake. Sold this thing. The scaling 140% or 150% was all the wrong. The new laptop with 13 inch screen and 2560x1600 resolution and with 200% scaling - this one works perfectly.