NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Discrete Classes

Hi,

Here is my situation, I have a folder where I store all my classes. While I am coding, in order for the code insight to help me with available methods and properties within my classes, I need to have those files downloaded and open in another tab. Each file includes at least 10 classes it relies on and which need to be open in order to get these properties and methods from the classes. This is ok if I am only going to work on one file at a time, but the problem is I am normally working on several files that all tie in somehow and each of these files have their own set of classes that they need to have open.

As you can imagine, all these files open clog up my tab bar and it becomes difficult to find the files that I am working with.

Is there a way, that I can have the classes opened but not visible? or opened but out of the way? All I really want to see is the main output files that I am working on and not the classes that are being used which are in other files.

On another note, when the tab bar gets full, it extends the files you can't see into a little drop down on the right hand side, is it possible to change that to rather start a new row of tabs right underneath the original one so that they are always visible?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

In your project properties, in the Properties tab, at the very bottom, there is an entry for "Code insight includes". Add the folder that holds your classes in there and if I am not mistaken that should do it for you.

Ahhh, Thanks I see it now...

I mostly work directly off ftp and this doesnt allow ftp sites to be added. If there were a way to sa "Download necessary files" or something like that it would be great. I guess I'll have to keep a repository of the classes on my local drive then. Not my optimal solution as the classes change a lot.

Ont other thing I need to know, when working on ftp, is there a way to make the program always keep a local copy as well? I sometimes have colleagues overwrite my stuff cause they dotn download first and it is really frustrating. A local copy would be great.

I have the same issue. PhpEd has the capability of publishing, but sometimes that doesnt fit the bill. Here is how I handle it. There are 2 scenarios that I have and I have solutions for both that work quite well for me.

Scenario 1: Develop and debug on workstation using the built in web server. I copy all the files that I use onto my workstation, including the extras in separate directories, and debug them locally on my workstation. Since PhpEd has a link to edit the local php.ini, I can configure certain options I need, like prepend_file (which I use a lot) and it works for that. When I am completed with my work, I publish the files back onto their respective server.

That is good enough for simple projects, but for more complex projects, like ones that need to run CLI apps, they have to run on the server to develop and debug. Scenario 2 works.

Scenario 2: I downloaded and installed a shareware app called WinSCP. I use that to make a copy of all my files from the server to my workstation. Then, there is a function in there that says "Keep Remote Directory Up To Date". When you start that, it will do an initial synchronization between the directory on your workstation and the corresponding directory on the server. Then in the background it keeps an eye on any changes made on your workstation in the directory (recursive directories as well) and as soon as any changes are made on your workstation, that file is immediately copied over to the server and synchronization is kept up to date. Then I configure PhpEd project to debug using a 3rd party server. Btw, you can have multiple instances of WinSCP running to keep multiple directories in synch. By doing that I am able to develop and debug seamlessly without having to stop, ftp files over, then launch etc. Once your done, you stop WinSCP and you have a complete copy of your project on the server.

I hope that works for you as well as it does for me.
Discrete Classes