NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Developer specified code folding, also known as 'regions'

I would like ability to specify certain "regions" in php script file that can be 'folded'. This would be similar to what you see in visual studio. For example if you specify the following:

Code:

#region  // Stuff I don't want to see
$a = $something;
$b = $a + $c->someMethod();
#endregion

$d = new myClass();

Then the code between 'region' and 'endregion' should fold just like any other foldable area like this:

Code:

#region  // Stuff I don't want to see

$d = new myClass();

And now my code would be more readable, yada yada yada...

[/code]
Something like this is already possible

From documentation on php.net:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/control-structures.intro.php

Quote:
Any PHP script is built out of a series of statements. A statement can be an assignment, a function call, a loop, a conditional statement or even a statement that does nothing (an empty statement). Statements usually end with a semicolon. In addition, statements can be grouped into a statement-group by encapsulating a group of statements with curly braces. A statement-group is a statement by itself as well. The various statement types are described in this chapter.

In other words, the following code is valid PHP code:

Code:

echo 'Hello World';
{ //polite stuff
    echo ", it's nice to meet you.\n";
    echo "May I be of service?\n";
}

The curly braces define a statement group similar to when used with if, else, foreach, etc. It does not create a new variable scope, but can be used to format/organize code in some arbitrary way. Statement groups can contain almost anything (assuming nest conventions are followed). Some things that can't be used inside statement blocks are: namespace, use, (global) const, and __halt_compiler().

Anything in curly braces will have a fold mark in PhpED. That includes statement groups which then function just as one would hope/expect. One feature that would be nice is if PhpED showed the comment immediately after the starting brace while the group is folded. One can even make a shortcut to create a foldable statement group using code snippets in PhpED. For example, the following template could be created and assigned to the keyboard combination Ctrl+Alt+B
Code:
{// my_custom_code_block
|}

Thereafter one could highlight a block of code then hit Ctrl+Alt+B to wrap the highlighted statements in curly braces, creating a statement group.
Developer specified code folding, also known as 'regions'