NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Delete key not working eventually

Hello everyone,

this is my first post to this forums. PhpED seems to be the IDE of choice. Debugger is great and I really like the customizable GUI.

Actually I'd like to get help for a problem inside the editor. After some minutes of working the delete key stops responding. It is no more possible then to delete a block or the char to the right by pressing delete. I then have to press the delete key round about 16 times until it suddenly begins to respond as expected. This seems to be a kind of keyboard buffer problem or so. It's quite annoying, because delete is used intuitively all the time.

Someone had this kind of problem before and found a solution? Is it perhaps a known bug already?

Version is 4.5.1 (Build 4520eval).

Yours, Schnapo
Site Admin

Personally I don't believe there is a problem with our editor component. Otherwise we'd get two-three hundred reports a day, just because it's not a rarely used key Smile, you know and nobody would remain calm, especially customers who paid.

Anyway in order to help you with resolving the problem, please answer the questions below:
Did it stop to work just one time or stops everytime after you start working? Do other keys work while Del is "non-responsive"? Were RO or OVR shown in the IDE status bar indicating that the editor is in the ReadOnly or Overwrite mode?
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
Veteran

I have the same problem with v4.0.1 build4062. It doesn't happen every time. Actually, it's very rare. The del key stops working only in phped editor. I usually use the backspace key in these cases. I did not try to press the key many times to get it back, just close and reopen the ide is enough to make it work again. This has no relation to the read-only or permissions of the file I'm working on. It happens even with a new, never saved file .

I thought this was (may be it is!) something wrong in my system and never considered I should post about it here. Phped is the only software I use that the del key stops working sometimes. When this happens, if I open another text editor or switch (alt-tab) to one already opened, the del key works perfectly there.
Site Admin

Quote:
It doesn't happen every time. Actually, it's very rare

Well, it explains why we havn't got such reports before.

Could you please continue watching on this and try to find what key sequencies/combinations preceeded that problem? Perhaps, you deleted something or invoked a popup etc.
Also, it would make sense to know if Del is used in any IDE's shortcuts in your settings? Please check Tools->Settings->IDE shortcuts.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

I have got this as well, again, it is very rare. It does appear to be out of the blue but I'll keep an eye out for particular events leading up to this occuring.

ddmitrie wrote:
Personally I don't believe there is a problem with our editor component. Otherwise we'd get two-three hundred reports a day, just because it's not a rarely used key Smile, you know and nobody would remain calm, especially customers who paid.

My buying-decision is very close and this is indeed the only urgent problem I have (very annoying, almost killed my keyboard by hitting that key when the problem appeared the first time Wink). Perhaps it helps to know it's a Windows XP. Has lots of apps and none of them ever had a similar problem. You know del is used all the time and I'd remember if there was a general problem.

Quote:
Anyway in order to help you with resolving the problem, please answer the questions below:
Did it stop to work just one time or stops everytime after you start working? Do other keys work while Del is "non-responsive"? Were RO or OVR shown in the IDE status bar indicating that the editor is in the ReadOnly or Overwrite mode?

When starting PhpED everything is fine. But after some time the key doesn't respond. Every other key works. I was able to "reactivate" the key by pressing it round about 16 times. That's why I believe it's a buffer problem or has something to do with your rather complex editor components logic. As Hotshot mentioned already it is possible to use backspace instead. It's no rare problem in my scenario. Happens every time I use PhpED. The IDE shortcuts haven't been changed by me, but I customized many things in the editor settings.

IIRC the problem appeared for the first time after I customized the editor settings. I'll watch my usage behavior in order to find a key sequency or something causing this.
Site Admin

Quote:
Happens every time I use PhpED

Good. I'll contact you by email to make things rolling faster Smile
Delete key not working eventually