NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Default to Selected Text scope if multiline text is selected

I'd like it if when I have multiple lines selected that the find or replace dialogs would default to 'Selected Text' scope.
Veteran

this is a great suggestion, and is similar to some other IDE's. Works perfectly in those IDE's too.
Site Admin

it works fine for me.
Did you try multiline search option in the Find dialog?

It is the scope selection that I would like defaulted differently.

Some example do-nothing-worth-doing code:
Code:

<?php
function blah($var = "one") {
  if ("one" == $var) {
    echo "It is one.";
  }
}
$bar = 'two';
echo "{$bar}";

Suppose I selected in some file that small function leaving the last two code lines unselected. With this little example I want to replace all the double quotes with single quotes only in my text I selected. If it did the replace globally it would change the result of the last unselected echo as well.

The current behavior now is to populate the 'Text to find' field with the first line of the selected text and default [Scope] to 'Global'. The behavior I'd like to see is that the [Scope] box default to 'Selected Text' in cases where I've selected multiple lines of text.

I find that after my switch from Zend Studio I'm a bit quick to [ctrl-R] [backspace] type in the text to find [tab] [backspace] type the replace text [enter]. In PHPEd I have to mouse over to set the 'Selected Text' scope each time before hitting enter or I end up doing a global text replace.

I use 'Selected Text' scope way more often than global scope for replaces so if I'd even accept an option screen switch to toggle the default scope. My finds typically are always global though.
Site Admin

ah, I got it now.
It was discussed there many times and the conclusion was to leave it as is, or else many other custoemers will be confused.