NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Debugger very slow after oracle-database-query

Hello,
I have a problem using the PHPED-debugger using the local server as well as using a 3rd party server:
All modules to be used for debugging look fine, the debugger runs fine as well until the first query to the oracle database.
After this query moving one single line further in the debug-code takes about 20 seconds.
I found out that the bigger the resultset of the query the slower the debugger afterwards. During this time the CPU is used 100%.
That way it is not possible to use the debugger with database access.

Do you have an idea what might be the cause?

Thanks a lot,
Sven
Site Admin

when you execute your code step by step, IDE updates Globals and Locals with actual values on each step preformed. With large data, it may slowdown the process significantly. If you have such a large dataset, I'd recommend you to turn Globals and/or Locals off and use Watches, Immediate and tooltips to inspect values.

Out of interest, how do you turn then off? I've hidden the tabs before but its made no difference?

Steve.
Site Admin

Quote:
but its made no difference

absolutely no difference. They get updated with each single step unless you disable them in the popup menu.

Quote:
They get updated with each single step unless you disable them in the popup menu.

Which popup are you referring to? I Have the same problem, that loading the locals and globals takes a long time when executing step-by-step.

How can I disable the fetching?

Best Regards
Manuel
Site Admin

popup menu of globals and locals, I think it's obvious.

Quote:
I think it's obvious.

No, acutally it is not. I have 2 views I can toggle in the Menu "View" -> "Debug Windows". Even when I disable these PHPEd still loads the locals as i can see in the status bar.

Where can I find this "popup" you are talking about?! Sorry if I am not that very much familiar with all the features of phped but I cannot seem to find the popup you are referring to, Just the 2 Views.

Bet regards
Manuel
Guru master

Whilst viewing Globals or Locals, do a right-click in that panel and you will get a popup where you can choose Disable.

The panel will then turn gray to indicate it is disabled. The panel remains available so can right-click it to enable again.

A few of the panels have their own custom options in their popup menus.

plugnplay wrote:
Whilst viewing Globals or Locals, do a right-click in that panel and you will get a popup where you can choose Disable.

The panel will then turn gray to indicate it is disabled. The panel remains available so can right-click it to enable again.

A few of the panels have their own custom options in their popup menus.

Was that added recently, I never knew you could do that - thank you!

Edit: Just realised I posted on this very thread in 2009! I obviously didn't subscribe for updates as I've only just found out you can disable them.

Admin - perhaps it may be worth putting in a prompt that if the user is waiting more than a set time (say 2 seconds) per step, they are asked if they want to disable the local / global tabs to speed up debugging & tell them how to do it.

Obviously it needs to have a 'don't show me again' option, but it would ensure that everyone knows they can disable the tabs.

Steve.
Guru master

A few old threads have been answered recently. Just shows it can be worthwhile Smile

It certainly isn't immediately clear that there is a relationship between slow debugging and disabling locals/globals (and possibly also watches), although it is actually briefly mentioned somewhere in the manual, which is where I first saw it.
Debugger very slow after oracle-database-query