NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
debugger timeout on a godaddy.com shared host

debugger is installed; phpinfo verifies and dbg-wizard verifies
php5.ini file is updated with debugger commands from Install Instructions page
godaddy does not allow telnet or ssh - so I cannot try to telnet to client to test communication
the /etc/hosts.allow & .deny are both empty
php5.ini file is updated with debugger commands as well as load command

has anyone gotten PhpEd to run on a godaddy shared host?
Site Admin

do you see debugger in the phpinfo() output?
if so, it most probably works.

Certainly you can run telnet, even though you have no ssh terminal.
Try to do it with php, like below:

<?php
echo `telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 7869 2>&1`;
?>

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is remote address as you see it when you run phpinfo on the web server from your client machine.

If telnet timesout, you're behind firewall and/or router. In first case, you need to allow dbglistener's 7869 port in the firewall settings. In latter case you need to add port forwarding. Do you have real ip or something like 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, or 172.x.x.x?

yes - debugger is seen in the phpinfo() output

i have a phpshell interpreter available. I cannot find telnet on the system. I know godaddy explicittly does not allow telnet access, so it is not too big of a stretch to think they may have removed the telnet command. in a typical apache installation where would telnet be installed?

when you speak about firewall/router are you referencing the client machine?

I have a real ip address (dedicated) for the server
Site Admin

Quote:
when you speak about firewall/router are you referencing the client machine

sure.
When debugger is requested, first of all it tries to connect to dbglistener running on the client machine. So it's important to have dbglistener accessible outside.
If you're behind a modern adsl modem, you have both router and firewall in it. Don't forget about windows. In case of XP or Vista, you have software firewall too.

I am re-reading your post. The client machine is behind a router. The client machine has an ip address like 192.168.x.x. I can add port forwarding.

When adding port forwarding do I want to forward port 7869 to client ip 192.168.x.x?

verified debugger not blocked by firewalls
have mapped port 7869 for both tcp and udp to client machine

still no luck
can we go private messages

dimitri

I'd like to share more info, but do not want it all posted on the site for security reasons

can we exchange private messages?
can I change the debugger port?

I am running my client machine behind a dlink router. I have enabled access to port 7869 that is requested by the debugger. I have also opened port 23 for telnet
I can access the telnet port but not the debugger port. Both are set up exactly the same way.

Can I run the debugger over a different port. Maybe even port 23?
Site Admin

Quote:
I have also opened port 23 for telnet

You do not need to open telnet's port until you have telnet service running and want to use it from the outside.
But you can use telnet (as well as many other tools) on the server to check if connect to dbglistner on the client machine goes through your router and firewall. In order to do this, you need to run telnet my_client_host 7869 (or any other stuff for example wget http://my_client_host:7869/) on the server and check dbglistener on the client machine. my_client_host is IP address as you see it in PhpInfo()'s REMOTE_ADDR (you have to run phpinfo on the server).
7869 is dbglistener's port number.

Quote:
Can I run the debugger over a different port. Maybe even port 23?

yes, but I see no reason why you'd need to do this. Anyway, you can change port in the tools->settings->run and debug and check if it's changed in the dbglistener settings.

i've confirmed that godaddy blocks most ports with it's shared hosting plans. The do not allow telenet or SSH access either.

I've run a port scan looking for open ports and so far have only found ports 21, 80, 443. I have a fuller scan running right now. They will only unblock the ports if I upgrade to a virtual dedicated or dedicated server. In other words, if i pay more they will allow me to adminsiter the site and unblock the reports.

how do i select another port? I see that i can change the port in dbglistener, but the error message in the Phped main screen tells me that it is not able to access port 7869.
Site Admin

Quote:
In other words, if i pay more they will allow me to adminsiter the site

sure! Similarly another customer tried to install PhpExpress on godaddy host and they asked him to switch to virtual plan too.
I wonder how you managed to install debugger Smile without such switch he-he.

To change the port of the client, change external and internal ports in the port forwarding settings of your NAT router, make sure fw allows this port for the connections from godaddy host, and finally check Tools->settings->Run And Debug, custom host and port, port. Then make sure that dbglistner has updated its settings too.

TCP, UDp or both protocols?
debugger timeout on a godaddy.com shared host