NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Debug Build of the debugger shared object

Hi,

I am having to fix some bugs in the pdo_odbc.so library and every time we want to test a new case and check the results we use NuSphere (the test cases are complex). The problem is we don't have a debug build of the debugger shared object, so we have to build PHP and PDO_ODBC for release, check the results in NuSphere, find a problem and then build PHP and PDO_ODBC for debug again to fix the problem. There are a number of faults in PDO_ODBC and I wondered if there was debug build available of the NuSphere debugger which we can use to stop the many build cycles?

Thanks in advance

Charles Durrant
Thomson Reuters
Site Admin

Dear Charles,
I explained this by email, but I'm not sure that you received my answer.
You don't need _debug_ target when you build php. Just specify CFLAGS="-g -O0" when you build php and it will be built with full debug info and no optimizations that may affect gdb (gnu debugger) abilities to show correct stacktraces and content of local variables.
After php is built, do not install it. Just copy php binary to desination folder or use it in place. "Make install" may strip debug info and make binary useless for debugging.