NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
DBGListener Won't Allow Me To Select Machine

I am running PHP and DBG on Linux and have the listener running on Windows XP for PHPEdit.

It seems like I need the listener settings for IP address to point to my Linux box but it defaults to my Windows IP and is readonly and disabled. How do I tell DBGListener to talk with DBG on my Linux box?

Thanks!
Site Admin

Generally speaking, listener is a thing that listens (waits for) incoming connections and do it regarless they appear from.
That settings allows you to select the adapter the listener should work on. While you have only one network adapter listener does not allow you to select anything except this one.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
DBGListener

So, PHPEdit talks to DBGListener which seems to make sense to me. What I am not clear on is how DBGListener running on my Windows XP box is talking to DBG running on my Linux box. Don't I need to tell the DBG Client and Server how to find each other? I believe that PHPEdit is finding the listener but then thinks that the listener is not communicating with the web server / DBG server. Does that make sense?

Thanks very much!
Site Admin

Sorry, it's not a problem of DBG Smile
With PHPEd it works according the following scenario:
a) PHPEd runs a script on the server using a DBG session request
b) DBG on the server recognizes the request, determines the client IP address and connects back to the client host where it expects DbgListener to be running.
c) Listener initializes debug session and informs IDE about that event.

Hope I made it clear enough Very Happy
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
Guru master

Technically you do not. When you start a debug session from PhpED on your Windows computer, the Windows browser client address is part of the HTTP request so is of course known to DBG, so DBG can use that to talk with the DBG listener.

Normally for a development server you would install DBG on the Linux box and in the PhpED project settings set it as a remote debugging project. Then just start a debug session as normal and it works. Most common issues are firewall settings on both Windows & Linux and the DBG settings in php.ini

The DBG settings in the php.ini on the server which can restrict which computers can debug sessions, which effectively tells DBG which network addresses it is allowed to communicate with the DBG listener.

If you want to debug a session where the browser is on a different computer to PhpED, then the DBG listener is also on a different computer and DBG won't be able to communicate using the Windows browser client address.

In that situation you have a choice of using the DebugBreak() statement within your PHP code and telling that your DBG listener address, or changing DBGSESSID in the browser URL to tell DBG where the listener is. Both DebugBreak and DBSESSID accept effectively the same parameter format.

There is loads of information in this forum about that, but have a look at http://www.nusphere.com/kb/technicalfaq/faq_dbg_related.htm#2 for a quick overview.

I believe that PHPEdit is finding the listener but then thinks that the listener is not communicating with the web server / DBG server. Does that make sense?

We offer guaranteed success for exam with help of latest certification and practice questions and the exams of ccie security
DBGListener Won't Allow Me To Select Machine