NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
DBG not opening the port to listen on.

dbg-2.11.23-src.tar.gz
httpd-2.0.48 (configured for port 8888, and running as a normal user, as oposed to root)
php-4.3.4

I did an strace on apache, and I see the
strace -f -o apache.strace apachectl start
9191 open("/opt/p1/php/lib/php/extensions/dbg.so", O_RDONLY) = 8
9191 read(8, "\177ELF\1\1\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\3\0\3\0\1\0\0\0\264B\0"..., 512) = 512

so it's definetly reading the library, but I see no other bind than apache:
9190 bind(3, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(8888), sin_addr=inet_addr("0.0.0.0")}, 16) = 0

I am at a total loss. I have no idea why DBG is not listening on any ports. Is there another
server that is missing? Do I need a separate debug server on the same machine that
accepts connections on port 7869???

Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

phpinfo() stuff:
<h2><a name="module_dbg">dbg</a></h2>

<TABLE BORDER=1 CELLPADDING=3 CELLSPACING=0 WIDTH=600 BGCOLOR=#33CCFF ALIGN="CENTER"><TR VALIGN='MIDDLE' ALIGN='CENTER'><TD><B><A HREF='http://www.nusphere.com/dbg' STYLE='color: #660880;'>DBG php debugger, version 2.11.23, Copyright 2001, 2002, Dmitri Dmitrienko, www.nusphere.com/dbg</A></B></TD></TR></TABLE><BR>
<table border="0" cellpadding="3" width="600">
<tr><td class="e">Version </td><td class="v">2.11.23 </td></tr>
<tr><td class="e">Linked </td><td class="v">as a shared library. </td></tr>
<tr><td class="e">Profiler </td><td class="v">compiled, enabled </td></tr>
</table><br />
<table border="0" cellpadding="3" width="600">
<tr class="h"><th>Directive</th><th>Local Value</th><th>Master Value</th></tr>
<tr><td class="e">debugger.enable_session_cookie</td><td class="v">On</td><td class="v">On</td></tr>
<tr><td class="e">debugger.enabled</td><td class="v">On</td><td class="v">On</td></tr>
<tr><td class="e">debugger.fail_silently</td><td class="v">On</td><td class="v">On</td></tr>
<tr><td class="e">debugger.ignore_nops</td><td class="v">Off</td><td class="v">Off</td></tr>
<tr><td class="e">debugger.JIT_enabled</td><td class="v">Off</td><td class="v">Off</td></tr>
<tr><td class="e">debugger.JIT_host</td><td class="v">10.13.13.51</td><td class="v">10.13.13.51</td></tr>
<tr><td class="e">debugger.JIT_level</td><td class="v">3</td><td class="v">9</td></tr>
<tr><td class="e">debugger.JIT_port</td><td class="v">7869</td><td class="v">7869</td></tr>
<tr><td class="e">debugger.profiler_enabled</td><td class="v">On</td><td class="v">On</td></tr>
<tr><td class="e">debugger.session_nocache</td><td class="v">On</td><td class="v">On</td></tr>
<tr><td class="e">debugger.timeout_seconds</td><td class="v">300</td><td class="v">300</td></tr>
</table><br />
Site Admin

1. debugger module (aka DBG) does not open any listening sockets.
Instead, it connects to the machine where you run request from.
2. It's debugger client (aka dbglistener) opens listening socket on specified port and waits for connections.
3. If you decide it's insecure, you may run ssh tunnel to forward socket to server's part. See ssh -R command. Also, you'll have to use localhost in DBGSESSID requests (instead of clienthost).
4. I suppose 10.13.13.51 is the client machine address, right ? Otherwise it won't work. Better if you set it clienthost or localhost (in case of ssh tunnel).
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

hmm. Ok that makes a lot more sense now.

What listener can i use. I was trying dbg-cli-2.11.0.tar.gz, but
I'm not sure if that is a listener or just a client which requires another piece of software.

Is the dbglistener strictly part of PHPEd as a commercial product, or are there other
options?

( thanks for the ssh tip... )
Site Admin

I know that it works with PhpED the best way.
Although some other IDEs use DBG debugger and are shipped with dbg listener 2.11 which is freeware.
PhpED contains 2.16.3 (commercial), the most recent one.

dbg-cli (console client) opens listening socket for very short time when it waits for connection and closes it if timeout expired or when a session starts whatever comes first.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
DBG not opening the port to listen on.