NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
DBG commercial version?..

I would be happy to purchase DBG commercial version for ~$30. I do not want PhpED because I love phpEclipse but I want better debugging. So, what NuSphere thinks about commercial DBG?
Veteran

Hi there,
NuSphere sponsors freeware version of dbg. This is our way of giving back to the community of PHP developers, we think it would be wrong of us to sell dbg. Freeware dbg is the same as the dbg component shipped with PhpED, we don't make it any different. It is simply an older version of dbg , although it is always a very recent one. It is almost always just one version behind. There is the same development effort put in freeware and PhpED versions of dbg. Freeware version of dbg is what should be used with products like phpEclipse. In all honesty I really don't think that you will get a better debugging by simply using the commercial version of dbg - it is about the difference in quality of the IDEs themselves, rather than in different versions of dbg. The difference is in the way PhpED integrates and makes use of the debugger and the way other products do.
Hope it helps Smile
me 2 actually..

I'd like to buy the comercial version of the plugin too..

you say theres not much functionally different... but consider this line in here http://forum.nusphere.com/howto-install-debugger-module-t576.html

c) DBG versions 2.11 (free) does not support debugger.hosts_allow, debugger.hosts_deny or debugger.ports settings.

Shocked and that is a MASSIVE difference...

or is there another way of stopping this happening in the modules config?
Site Admin

you're right. Security makes sense if you work with live servers and these settings in particular are really important.
On the other hand, I thought FM was about difficulties on setting up the debugger and that's why he(she) asked for commercial version. Yfaktor resonably replied that debugger functionality of these versions is very close if not the same. IMHO those difficulties are caused by lack of good support for this combination.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

ddmitrie wrote:
you're right. Security makes sense if you work with live servers and these settings in particular are really important.
On the other hand, I thought FM was about difficulties on setting up the debugger and that's why he(she) asked for commercial version. Yfaktor resonably replied that debugger functionality of these versions is very close if not the same. IMHO those difficulties are caused by lack of good support for this combination.

for me its actually just my "play with" box that i fear. as in, myself and a couple of coding friends tend to just play around with php, produce tonnes of code, and no really do alot with it (i.e. for fun). the plugin is awesome, but id really hate anyone to just be able to dump my entire source tree, not because of access to the source, but because of the various configurables in there (db login details, etc). For my part, i hacked the plugin to change the trigger, which is good enough for a server we just 'hack around' on. But i'd be scared of ever installing this on a server with any real data on it.

But it does expose alot of potentially exploitable information to the outside world, and i'd hate to come back to my 'hacking box' and find it had 3 root kits and was consuming 75% of my bandwidth trying to ddos something:)

I'd buy a coipy of the commercial version for ~$30 mainly because I my debugger to suppor for the latest version of PHP.
DBG commercial version?..