NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
[resolved] CVS Checkout by revision number - LF problem

On windows xp,phpEd 5.0.1 - 5029, when I try to checkout a file using the revision number, i get "checkout aborted, linefeed expected". If i hand edit the .v file in the repository and remove the extra character, then the checkout works.
What have I set up wrong??
Site Admin

If you run cvs server under Windows, you need to choose approrpiate distro. For example, WinCVS and CVSNT are known to work good, although I didn't try their latest versions.

I am using the latest version of TortoiseCVS, everything seems to work fine except for the extra caracters saved in the .v files. I am running XAMPP as a test server, is there a better way to set up CVS using a server??
Site Admin

well. To work with Tortoise CVS you have to use Shell submenu, that looks quite similar to Tortoise SVN:

and do not enable CVS in the project properties, it is for the cases when you have no CVS clients integrated with Windows Shell installed.

If you still have problems with Tortoise CVS client invoked through Shell menu, please report the problem to Tortoise team.

dmitri wrote:
If you run cvs server under Windows, you need to choose approrpiate distro. For example, WinCVS and CVSNT are known to work good, although I didn't try their latest versions.

I get a linefeed error message too when I try to view log for a file. I am guessing this is the same issue? If so then did you not include the appropriate distro with phped?

Jeff
Site Admin

Quote:
If so then did you not include the appropriate distro

We did not include TortoiseCVS if you ask about it.
Feel free to download and install it from the Tortoise web site.
If you ask about cvs executable (cvs.exe), we did include it and it's an appropriate executable to work with CVS too. See phped\ccvs\ subdirectory.

dmitri wrote:
Quote:
If so then did you not include the appropriate distro

We did not include TortoiseCVS if you ask about it.
Feel free to download and install it from the Tortoise web site.
If you ask about cvs executable (cvs.exe), we did include it and it's an appropriate executable to work with CVS too. See phped\ccvs\ subdirectory.

Im not using TortoiseCVS. I am using the one built into phped. My question is, why does it cause the linefeeds? Is it not the appropriate distro? Do you have any plans to include the appropriate one? Is there a workaround to this problem? Or are you suggesting that I use TortoiseCVS instead of the CVS interface built in to PHPEd?

Jeff
Site Admin

These are the questions you may want to address to CVS developers . We have very little knowledge about their structures and the way their products work. From my point of view, there is something with LF->CRLF translation ("r" file mode instead of "rb"). Probably you need to add -kb option to have your files processed as binary ones. Alternatively you may want to store all your files in Unix format. Or switch to SVN which is known to work better.

dmitri wrote:
These are the questions you may want to address to CVS developers . We have very little knowledge about their structures and the way their products work. From my point of view, there is something with LF->CRLF translation ("r" file mode instead of "rb"). Probably you need to add -kb option to have your files processed as binary ones. Alternatively you may want to store all your files in Unix format. Or switch to SVN which is known to work better.

Ok thanks, Dmitri. I appreciate your help.

Jeff
Latest version of CVS required to run properly within PhpEd:

Hello everyone,

After trying to mess with the modifiers in integration settings for some time, I decided to see if the most recent version of CVS comes bundled with PhpEd. In fact, the version bundled with PhpEd is 1.11.20, while the LATEST version of CVS is 1.11.22.

I placed the 1.11.22 CVS executable within the ccvs folder, and the problem is gone!

Diff, checkout, status all seem to be working properly when previous revisions are called.

The latest version of CVS for Windows can be found here:

http://ftp.gnu.org/non-gnu/cvs/binary/stable/x86-woe/

I think it would be a good thing for the folks at NuSphere to update their bundled version to the latest, so with each PhpEd update we do not have to re-update CVS.

PhpEd is a great product, and now with built-in version control that works, its really the only tool I need!

thanks,
-Eric
View user's profileFind all posts by unarmedmanSend private messageVisit poster's website
[resolved] CVS Checkout by revision number - LF problem