NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Custom project file groups

Hi All,
I recently submitted this suggestion to NuSphere support and they have suggested I also put it here for comments by forum members.

Here goes: I find when working with large projects that I end up with many file tabs open within the IDE, especially if I have been single stepping through while debugging. Even when developing new classes that are decedent on framework base classes etc I end up with many files open within the IDE. The obvious of 'close them down when you are finished with them' is not always appropriate as when you close such down I for one find myself re-opening the same files again later when expanding on or debugging an issue that has re-surfaced.
What I have suggested is functionality within the IDE where I could assign project files to 'custom project page groups' or working groups. IN essence being able to assign any project file to a named custom set of files. I am assuming that such page groups would be nothing more than groups of links to existing files. Functions such as: open working set in IDE, close working set etc would be a great help.

A practical example based on a present project:
An client side AJAX request that submits a command block to the server side framework. The purpose of which is to retrieve data from the model component of a MVC structured part of the framework. The files I would be working with:
1) The client side javascript file.
2) The framework component that receives all AJAX requests (MVC based) so at least the controller of this component.
3) The controller of the framework that processes the received CMD. controller of another framework component.
4) The associated model of the above controller.
5) The base classes related to controllers and model child classes used in the above.
6) There are often other associated components (Log module, Validation module, spl autoloaders etc).

The above is a typical example of the files that would be opened as I debug, trace the route through the framework.

The above is just one example of one of many tasks a developer would have to work with, each task typically requiring another set of working files, some of which may well be the existing set above, but many will not be. The end result is many files open within the IDE.

How many times have you looked at many files open within the IDE and decided to clean up the IDE and close those down that you believe you are finished with, only to find yourself opening the same file some minutes later?

As for where within the IDE: I am assuming a new IDE tool window/tab that like other tool windows within the IDE could be opened / closed and docked as required.

I await all of the 'have you used this shortcut /feature' comments etc.

Other uses:
Group of files that hold base and all derived classes: controllers; models etc even all controllers or models within a project etc.
As much of what I suggest is based on how I work with NuSphere's IDE I am hoping others can suggest yet more possibilities for this suggested IDE functionality.
Jonathan Parker
View user's profileFind all posts by Jonathan_ParkerSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

FYI: next version of PhpED will support worksets that works very similar to what you've outlined plus some extras. We will define worksets as be context-centric things, and this context of course includes list of opened files (with their caret positions, z-order, etc) but not only. With worksets you can safely interrupt your task, switch to another, then return back exactly to the same point.

That's great dmitri, Any idea when the next version is due for release?
View user's profileFind all posts by Jonathan_ParkerSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

An official announcement for "early birds" (with good discount) will be sent soon. Further questions regarding new version should be ordered to sales.