NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Cursor Undo - Stop!

I've had a license for PhpEd for four years. I've found it a solid product and a substantial improvement over the other PHP software I tried.

But there is one feature I detest. It's driving me insane. The more I use it, the more creative words I find to describe my abject hatred of this feature:

Putting cursor movement in the undo buffer.

I realize that some people like it. I know that Dmitri is very attached to this feature. But I've spent 30 years with editors that don't do that. And, since my computer now has 8GB of RAM and eight processors, I'm quite certain that my computer has the horsepower to handle a setting for turning on and off "Undo includes cursor movement."

So please. Save my sanity. Watch the happiness spread to all of the other people who have requested this feature in the last several years.

Please give me the option to turn off "Save cursor movement in undo buffer."

Thank you.
Veteran

+1
I too find the cursor undo just plain silly.

It's weird, because once you get used to it, you kind of expect it in other editors.
It IS actually quite useful, although at first I remember it driving me nuts.
As with everything, this should definitely be added as an option that can be disabled.....
Site Admin

I don't see the point. Why would cursor movements be excluded from the UNDO buffer?
It's consistent with many editors (all that I use), and whenever I see an other behaviour I can't undo safely or easily.
Suppose you're at 1000th line and pressed Ctrl+Z, the editor jumped to 1th line where you edited code and present you with UNDONE changes in this line. Is it convenient? I belive it is not! I prefer to see previous content with cursor placed nearby first, then next Ctrl+Z should do the undo of the changes.

Dmitri,

Visual Studio didn't have cursor-undo until VS2005. "vi" has never had cursor undo. Microsoft Office does not have cursor undo. So many of us who have grown up in a Microsoft environment (or even a Unix environment) are not used to cursor level undo, nor do we have any desire to get used to it.

I could argue the theory with you all day - I am published in how to build undo systems in C++ and can go back and forth through the theory and practice of implementing undo managers across MVC architectures. However, that's not the point. Different people have different working styles. Reading the forums, people have been requesting this feature since at least 2007. This is a very important issue to me. If you were to sit next to me and watch my working style, you would see why. It's important enough that I would drop PhpEd and go to a competitor just to get rid of this "feature." Considering that we are only asking to be able to make our own choice, I think it's a very reasonable request. (And I say this as the owner of a small software company who has created consumer software for the last twelve years.)

So again, please give me the option to turn this off.

Thank you.
[/code]
Guru master

Dmitri has a good point. I use many editors (including Visual Studio which I find a pig to use compared with PhpED) and sometimes when you do an undo, the text is changed back and the cursor jumps back to that change, but you don't actually get to see what you've undone because it was already undone before the screen refreshed. So then I redo it to see what changed then undo it again.

Having the cursor first jump back, the screen refreshing, then seeing the change undo with the next step is much more obvious.

I thought PhpED was weird in this respect when I first used it, but I kinda got used to it and can't say I dislike it! Smile

Maybe the option would be that the undo step for cursor movement is not displayed and the undo (for the actual change) would be performed before refreshing the screen?
Re: Undo Thoughts
Site Admin

CodeName wrote:
...Reading the forums, people have been requesting this feature since at least 2007

okay, seems you didn't use PhpED in 2007 and didn't read forum carefully otherwise you'd know that the "feature" worked differently in 2007. If for example you clicked mouse 4 times after some line changed, the undo would jump four times before getting to the target line where undo would happen. That's how it worked in 2007 and that's what we re-worked in 2007.
For now, welcome to the world of priorities. We have many more important features to finish first, then we'll think about "little" and "non-widely" used like this one.

dmitri wrote:
CodeName wrote:
...Reading the forums, people have been requesting this feature since at least 2007

okay, seems you didn't use PhpED in 2007 and didn't read forum carefully otherwise you'd know that the "feature" worked differently in 2007. If for example you clicked mouse 4 times after some line changed, the undo would jump four times before getting to the target line where undo would happen. That's how it worked in 2007 and that's what we re-worked in 2007.
For now, welcome to the world of priorities. We have many more important features to finish first, then we'll think about "little" and "non-widely" used like this one.

I just bought Nusphere PhpEd Professional version 10 and its great, but i agree on this request, adding the cursor position to the undo stack is very uncomfortable, regardless of the "Group Undo" options config.
As a developer i understand about priorities; but this feature has been around for a long time.
I'm just writing to let you know that i'm one of the people that want this feature to be at least configurable, not to criticise the product itself.

Keep up the good work!
Guru master

I'm 100% in favour of people having the option to change how PhpED undo works. Smile

But just want people who are contemplating using PhpED to know that I *like* PhpED undo and prefer it to other editors. I thought it was strange when I first used it and very quickly liked it. I now find other editors very uncomfortable.
Veteran

Sometimes its useful, other times its just annoying. I'm on the fence about this...

+1 for IDE setting to control this (annoying) behaviour.

Sometimes the way Dmitri is telling us to work simply does not suit us.
Cursor Undo - Stop!