NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Cursor position when editing multiple lines

Hi,

It would be really great to add an option to "Editor Settings" to control the position of a cursor when it goes to a new line.
In another editor (TextPad made by Helios Software Solutions) there is this very useful feature when if you have to make similar changes to multiple lines then when switching to the next line cursor jump to the same position where you've started editing the previous line:

example:
Code:

line 1: some text goes here
            ^cursor (start edit)

line 1: some other text goes here
                 ^ cursor (finish edit)

line 1: some other text goes here
line 2: again some text goes on the second line
            ^ cursor (note that cursor jumped back to 5th character on the second line, and not 10th character)

Kind regards,
BioBug

Yes, I had a post exactly for this feature suggestion, really useful!

How does it work if you make two changes on a line, e.g. changing "some text goes here" to "some other text went here"? Does it go to the earliest on the line or the most recent change (since you don't necessarily make the changes from left to right)?

What happens if I go down and then back up, without making changes on the second line? Does it stay in the column where the edit started, or where you left off? For example, I insert the word 'other', go down a line, then realize it should have been 'other new', and go back up to the line where I started. Do I need to space over the 'other' now because the column position has changed?

Would keyboard macros be a better solution? With general keyboard macros, you could just quickly record 'down-arrow, home, right-arrow*5' to get to the same place, and have the additional power of recording 'down-arrow, home, ctrl-right-arrow', which would do the same idea only by words instead of character columns.
Cursor position when editing multiple lines