NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Ctrl + Click code opens files, how to stop?


Joined: 18 Jul 2007
Posts: 30
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Reply with quote
When I updated to the latest version of NuSphere, v19, a new issue started occurring. I commonly user ctrl + c, then left click to place cursor, then ctrl + v to paste.

Unfortunately, NuSphere is interpreting my commands as ctrl + left click, and it opens random files (I think it's trying to location the class or method that I am copying).

It's extremely annoying. I have to close random files at least 50 times a day. I've been using NuSphere since probably v4 or 5, never experienced this issue.

How do I disable ctrl + left click?

_________________
Ya
View user's profileFind all posts by loki_racerSend private message
Site Admin

Joined: 13 Jul 2003
Posts: 7926
Reply with quote
Ctrl-Click is a combination widely used to navigate to Declaration of what you clicked on.
So you may want to release Ctrl key before clicking or position the cursor using keyboard -- try bookmarks for example.

_________________
The PHP IDE team
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website


Joined: 18 Jul 2007
Posts: 30
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Reply with quote
Is there a way to turn off "navigate to Declaration?"

_________________
Ya
View user's profileFind all posts by loki_racerSend private message
Site Admin

Joined: 13 Jul 2003
Posts: 7926
Reply with quote
sorry, no. Find Declaration can't be turned off

_________________
The PHP IDE team
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website


Joined: 18 Jul 2007
Posts: 30
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Reply with quote
That's unfortunate. I've been using PhpIDE for 10 years and only recently has this become a problem. I'd say 1 out of 5 clicks opens a file for some random reason. Generally having nothing to do with the file I'm currently in. I can be in a PHP file and a click will open a JS file.

_________________
Ya
View user's profileFind all posts by loki_racerSend private message
Site Admin

Joined: 13 Jul 2003
Posts: 7926
Reply with quote
Find Declaration on Ctrl+Click was added more than 10 years ago. Can't help thinking what might be changed for you recently.
Is there chance you mean different product? Ours is not PhpIDE but PhpED. and the file is definitely not random, but the file where the object you clicked on is defined.

_________________
The PHP IDE team
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website


Joined: 18 Jul 2007
Posts: 30
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Reply with quote
Sorry, PhpIDE was a typo on my part. I've been using PhpED since version 3.

The files are definitely random. I can be inside a php file and accidental ctrl + click will open a js file. I will try and get a screen recording of what I'm talking about next time I'm working.

_________________
Ya
View user's profileFind all posts by loki_racerSend private message


Joined: 26 Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Reply with quote
I tried Ctrl+C, Left cursor set position, Ctrl+V.
Everything works just fine.

Steps:
- Use Ctrl+C,
- Do not push Ctrl anymore (get off Ctrl key),
- Position cursor,
- Use Ctrl+V.
View user's profileFind all posts by piotrSend private message
Site Admin

Joined: 13 Jul 2003
Posts: 7926
Reply with quote
btw it may have something to do with Accessibility thing that being turned on would hold Alt / Shift / Ctrl for you pressed after you've released it. In this case the results are less predicable, at least if you're not aware of this Windows feature

_________________
The PHP IDE team
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website


Joined: 05 Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Reply with quote
I sent a bug report on this behavior too, but no success in support.
It is definitely change in IDE since several months ago.
To reproduce try this ("real world example"):
1. Double click variable to select it, but do not release mouse button
2. Press CTRL-C, but do not release Ctrl button
3. Release mouse button
4. IDE jumps to var definition.

I've just installed ver. 18.0 and compared this situation and found the difference:
In ver. 19 Find declaration works if you press mouse down over variable, then press CTRL and then release mouse button.
In ver. 18 Find declaration do not work in such situation. You should first press CTRL to initialize Find declaration and then click variable.

Version 18 behavior is much more predictable and useful for me. And ver. 19's behavior is very annoying.
View user's profileFind all posts by rokmailSend private message
Site Admin

Joined: 13 Jul 2003
Posts: 7926
Reply with quote
rokmail wrote:
I sent a bug report on this behavior too, but no success in support.


Sorry, but support works with PRO customers only -- the ones who paid for the support.
Please let me know if you have PRO and support didn't respond in 1 working day.


rokmail wrote:
1. Double click variable to select it, but do not release mouse button
2. Press CTRL-C, but do not release Ctrl button
3. Release mouse button
4. IDE jumps to var definition.


Honestly I don't see what benefits are brought by holding mouse down per p1. You could easily release it before pressing Ctrl.
Can you change pattern and do not hold it while pressing Ctrl key unless you want to navigate to declaration?

Indeed Jump To Declaration is triggered by Ctrl+Click. In pre-19 versions it worked on mouse down event.
In contrast most if not all the other mouse-driven controls work on mouse release event. Check for example regular push button or URL navigation in browser. They all proceed with your action only when you release the mouse button. That's why Cltr+Click (Jump To Declaration) was fixed too.
I think we can slightly improve situation and make false positives less probable by ignoring mouse release events if initially mouse down event delivered without Ctrl key flag.

_________________
The PHP IDE team
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website


Joined: 05 Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Reply with quote
dmitri wrote:

Sorry, but support works with PRO customers only -- the ones who paid for the support.
Please let me know if you have PRO and support didn't respond in 1 working day.


I think you know the problem - there is no place to fill a bug report if you are not PRO customer. Support team say "Go to the forum", but forum says "do not post technical problems and bugs here" Smile

dmitri wrote:

Honestly I don't see what benefits are brought by holding mouse down per p1. You could easily release it before pressing Ctrl.
Can you change pattern and do not hold it while pressing Ctrl key unless you want to navigate to declaration?


It is mostly uncontrolled actions by two hands working together very fast and trained in a such way for many years. Fast double click on var name while pressing ctrl-c simultaneously.

dmitri wrote:

Indeed Jump To Declaration is triggered by Ctrl+Click. In pre-19 versions it worked on mouse down event.


I think Ctrl-click and Click+Ctrl (MouseDown+Ctrl+MouseUp) are different actions. In ver 19 both actions triggers Jump to declaration. In ver 18 only the first one.

dmitri wrote:

In contrast most if not all the other mouse-driven controls work on mouse release event. Check for example regular push button or URL navigation in browser. They all proceed with your action only when you release the mouse button. That's why Cltr+Click (Jump To Declaration) was fixed too.


Absolutely agree with you on this.

dmitri wrote:

I think we can slightly improve situation and make false positives less probable by ignoring mouse release events if initially mouse down event delivered without Ctrl key flag.


I will be very grateful for it. Thanks a lot!
View user's profileFind all posts by rokmailSend private message
Ctrl + Click code opens files, how to stop?
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 2  

  
  
 Reply to topic