NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Copy Variable data

Hi,
Is there a way to copy what a variable is set to in the watch window and paste it to Notepad?

Thanks

Al
Guru master

You can right-click the value then choose Copy from the popup menu. Depending on what format you want the value in, you can also change strings between PHP and raw formats.

Hi & thanks for the response. I guess I wasn't clear enough. What I want is to copy the variable name also. For example, if an array is set to (5,2), then I would get something
like $array 5,2

Thanks
Guru master

Sorry, forgot to answer this Embarassed

Whilst not the most convenient, I type the variable name into the Immediate panel and it dumps the name and the value. The Immediate panel is not very good plus it clears with each execution Crying or Very sad, so I often copy/paste into an editor so I can review it.
Site Admin

did you try Ctrl+F7 (Eval/Modify)?

Thanks, Dmitri. I have not customised any of my IDE Shortcuts, but have found Ctrl+F7 was duplicated for both Find Usage and Eval/Modify, so it was always doing Find Usage. I've redefined the key press, so now it works correctly.

It does have the advantage that long values wrap in the window (Immediate does not) but it sitll clears with each run. When doing comparisons of variable values between separate runs, or having typed a more complex evaluation string, it would be nice to have the previous output remain.

CTRL-F7 (Evaluate/Modify) does not copy the data, only the variable name. I want both. How do I get to the Immediate screen? I cannot find anything in the help screen about this.
Guru master

You can turn on Immediate by going to the menu View > Debug Windows > Immediate. If you want to see the Immediate window both before and after debugging, I think you need to choose that option both in debug and non-debug mode, because each mode remembers your view settings. When you start a debug run, the Immediate panel clears, which I find annoying; wish it had an option to not clear. You can type most PHP statements and expressions into Immediate and they will display the corresponding output.

Sorry to take so long to respond. I was busy setting up a new website. Your suggestion was exactly what I wanted.
Thanks very much!
Copy Variable data