NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Control-W doesn't work

Why Control-W doesn't close the tab?
Control-F4 it's much harder to press.

Yes, there is some Word wrap on this shortcut, but I never use it, and it turn on always by mistakes.
Most of the applications on Windows which have tabs using this shortcut.
View user's profileFind all posts by kenorbSend private messageVisit poster's website

Hello,

the same over here Smile

I often press ctrl+w to close the tab because i'm used to by many other applications...

Thomas
View user's profileFind all posts by tkahlSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

Feel free to assing your custom shortcut for File Close in Tools->Settings->IDE Shortcuts.
FYI by default Ctrl-W is bound to Word Wrap command in the Editors Shortcuts.

It shouldn't be as default? I would like to save others time to find out why it doesn't work.
If somebody using Word Wrap, then this person can customize it to Control-W if he want as well.
How many in 100 programmers using Word Wrap by Control-W during editing? Maybe 1 I think
Most of the people using standard keys for all applications and it's difficult to make exclude for one application.
It's good when you viewing some file, but not when editing (then you have your own favourites settings which are not changed very often).
For me it's like pressing Alt-F4 to Run debugger, or pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del to turn on syntax checking.
It's just a feature request to make it easier to use, if shortcut really can't be changed as default, that's fine.
View user's profileFind all posts by kenorbSend private messageVisit poster's website

Secondly I can't find 'Tab Close' event in 'Tabs' in IDE Shortcuts
Site Admin

Quote:
It shouldn't be as default?

It's a free world. You're free to use what comes by default or establish your very own defaults. In this area the IDE is flexible enough to justify your delicate palate.

Quote:
For me it's like pressing Alt-F4 to Run debugger, or pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del to turn on syntax checking.

Quite wrong comparison Smile. I know some editors other than NuSphere PhpED where Ctrl-W is used to toggle Word-Wrap too.
Regarding the idea of making one set of shortcuts for all people in the World, I'd highly recommend you to drop it. Even simple commands like Cut-Copy-Paste, have at least 3 common combinations each. At least two mutually exclusive sets are quite widely available for debugger commands. I'd call them Microsoft-way and Borland-way. Needless to say that under Mac and Unix you won't find anything you're used to work with under Windows. So... only flexibility helps, and it's there.

Quote:
Secondly I can't find 'Tab Close' event in 'Tabs' in IDE Shortcuts

Looks like you're trying to find "File Close"?

I have also this problem.
I can't change shortcut to file close.

How can I do?

P.S. Sorrt of my english

Sorry. I already find solution - IDE Shortcuts.
Control-W doesn't work