NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Confused about the "Immediate" window

I don't understand the design of the "Immediate" window. It is handy for looking at and altering variables, but why is the design of it such that every entry after the first is an error, a consequence of not putting the cursor on a new line?
Site Admin

when you press ENTER key, immediate window evaluates current line and put the results below. What's wrong with that ?
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

Probably nothing except my expectations and understanding Confused of it, esp since it struck me as a terminal/console paradigm. It does indeed give the results on the next line, but it also puts the cursor at the start of that next line (and not at the start of the empty line that follows it). The result is that when I query for two variables in a row I get an error.

For example after my first query the window looks like this:
Code:
$_COOKIE['PHPSESSID']
: string = "9c577ffaab111bb03ea4d3a1ddd8bfa6"

Now I type my second query and the window looks like this:
Code:
$_COOKIE['PHPSESSID']
$_COOKIE['DBGSESSID']: string = "9c577ffaab111bb03ea4d3a1ddd8bfa6"
: Error parse error, unexpected ':'

My expectation was to have a scrolling history (there is a scroll bar to the right after all Wink ) of my requests followed by PhpED's responses. I could show you what I mean but the Immediate window won't even let me move the cursor to the next line (it requires hitting ENTER and that in turn generates the parse error).[/code]
Confused about the "Immediate" window