NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
configuration of memory

is there a way to config the memory available to php-express? would be very fine if one could tune that value!

thanks and happy holidays
Site Admin

PhpExpress (free version) comes with all configuration settings pre-set, except enable-disable cache.
If your projects are big enough and you need more memory or have other caching options like caching output, you probably will be interested in PhpExpress PRO version which is planned for Q2 2007.

my projects are big enough Wink, therefor they would need more memory (>= 64M would be fine). this is the reason why i tried to combine phpexpress with eacclerator but this did not work. see posting compatibility-with-eacclerator-t2793.html

happy holidays
Site Admin

This does not work not because of PhpExpress, I think. It's eAccelerator is too strict with other extensions and returns with error message. I'd recommend you to try to reach eAccelerator developers. (but I'd not expect much results from this, they are almost always not responsive)

dmitri wrote:
PhpExpress (free version) comes with all configuration settings pre-set, except enable-disable cache.
If your projects are big enough and you need more memory or have other caching options like caching output, you probably will be interested in PhpExpress PRO version which is planned for Q2 2007.

Hmm. If you want to have web hosts using PhpExpress instead of ioncube you might want to allow them free access to alter the configuration like in the planned phpExpress Pro.

I am using Servage.net, they have support for Zend encoded scripts and Ioncube.
I have been talking to them about support for PHPExpress. If it is free, and there will be a rising demand, they will use it, but for now they will not.

Ioncube and Zend loaders are free, I will never get them to install PHPExpressPro if there is a cost involved.
Site Admin

PhpExpress is not only a loader like ZendOptimizer or ioncube loader.
It significanly improves performance of the site and it is free like the two (i.e. can be redistributed for free at no cost)
People who do not need performance improvements, may turn cache off and get almost the same things like provided with those two (i.e. loader will keep working).
Cache itself is very efficient. I tested it on some sites with 100+ virtual hosts per physical host and it shown 90-99% cache hit ratio.

So the phpExpress free only decrypts files.

But the phpExpress Pro makes them faster.

Is it possible to load phpExpress Pro without access to the PHP setup on the servers ?

If the webhosts will only go for the free version it would be nice if I still have the option of loading phpExpress Pro then.
Veteran

Clarification: PhpExpress, which is Free provides caching, as Dmitriy wrote - it does accelerate your PHP scripts, not just loads the encoded files
Veteran

yfaktor wrote:
Clarification: PhpExpress, which is Free provides caching, as Dmitriy wrote - it does accelerate your PHP scripts, not just loads the encoded files

So what is the difference between phpexpress free and phpexpress pro ?
Site Admin

PRO will run them even faster Smile

Cheers Dimitri, I've tried everything over the past couple of years (Apc, eAccelerator etc) but they all cause Apache to Segfault - I've now had phpExpress running on 3 webservers for weeks, they've not so much as even sneezed.

If PRO turns out to be as stable yet quicker - show me where to sign!

Kelvin
Site Admin

Thanks for your kind words.

Regarding PRO version, it's not available at the moment. We're still working on it.