NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Compare NuSphere PhpED and CodeGear Delphi for PHP

I am a seasoned programmed who is needing to start coding PHP for a project I am working on...same old story. Anyways, I have spent a full day testing just about every PHP IDE on the planet and I have narrowed my choices down to both NuSphere and CodeGear...hey that rhymes. I am just wondering if anyone has had experience with the CodeGear package and could offer some suggestions as to what package I should get.

I know that this being a NuSphere forum I will get some good reasons to purchase PhpED and I'm good with that. The truth is, I like CodeGear's RAD environment but I perfer the NuSphere IDE better.

I will be creating a variety of sites including an implementation of PostNuke. Is there anything that NuSphere has to mimic the RAD development of CodeGear?

Any help is appreciated! Very Happy

Peter
Use PHPEd

I am actually a Delphi programmer (ex). I find nothing really wrong with CodeGear's stuff, but PHPEd is VERY easy to get up and running. If you are looking for a "drag-n-drop" (component) approach to php development I think CodeGear might have an advantage. However, I haven't met a lot of people using php in that regard. PHPEd is extremely easy to use for debugging. You won't be sorry imho.
Site Admin

also you may want to take into account the CodeGear uses NuSphere's php debugger DBG v 2.11... Smile

I'm another developer that uses mainly Delphi (and love it) but use PHPEd when I need to code on php.

Never gave CodeGear PHP a try but I'm very happy with PHPEd (that I thing is developed on Delphi) Smile
Made my decision...

I just wanted to let you know that I ended up purchasing PhpED...I felt it was closer to actual PHP coding. I thaught the CodeGear IDE would make modifying other open source projects like PostNuke difficult.

I have been very happy with PhpED! My only suggestion would be to include a PDF of the manual. I have printed off the CHM file but it is not the same as a proper manual with a Table of Contence and index....

Peter
Re: Made my decision...

ppiluk wrote:
I just wanted to let you know that I ended up purchasing PhpED...I felt it was closer to actual PHP coding. I thaught the CodeGear IDE would make modifying other open source projects like PostNuke difficult.

Peter

I agree with Peter. I'm a former Delphi programmer as well, and Codegear's approach is great for Delphi programmers who want to take the minimal approach to new projects. But if you want to use php (and various web technologies, like Ajax) to its full potential, it seems a bit restrictive. I'm sure it's possible to drill it open and start messing with the internals, but you'd have to learn the CodeGear way of doing things in php -- PhpEd gives you "pure" php and adds a decent IDE. CodeGear takes a great IDE and puts it around php.

My two cents.
Compare NuSphere PhpED and CodeGear Delphi for PHP