NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Code Navigator PHPEd 6.1

The Code Navigator is no longer showing any information for the open files. And the Code Navigator only seems to work if there is a project in the Workspace.

I was trying to get the Remote Debugger to work (which I finaly gave up on) so maybe I messed up some settings, but I've checked everything I could think of

Thanks

Frank Polan
Guru master

I used to have problems with the Code Navigator sometimes not working, although now I think about it, with 6.1 (and maybe with 6.0) those issues no longer occur for me.

When there were issues, I used to go onto the Code Explorer panel, right-click anywhere and do a Refresh. Sometimes I had to restart PhpED as well.

Whilst there are potentially many things that could go wrong with remote debugging, I have found it to be very reliable. I guess one of the biggest issues might be firewall settings and another problem that might arise with a remote system is debugger module version mismatches.

We would need more information about your specific environment and settings before being able to assist. Do you get any helpful error messages from PhpED or your browser?

I had to reboot my PC yesterday and now the Navigator is working again so I'll just wait and see if it stay ok.

As for the debugger, the problem is me Sad I'm just having trouble figuring it out. I quit at the point where it appears that I have to have a duplicate copy of the servers application files on my local PC. SInce I'm running on a local test environment - 2 pcs & a server, it seems like a lot of effort

Thanks

Frank Polan
Guru master

If your server is Windows, then bear in mind your PC's can use UNC convention to access files on the server, thus no requirement to have copies of files. You could also use mapped drives if you prefer.

Project: C:\Users\plugnplay\AppData\Roaming\NuSphere\PhpED\projects\testsite.ppj
Root directory: \\server\c$\apache_htdocs\testsite_folder
Root URL: http://testsite.local
Remote root directory: \\server\c$\apache_htdocs\testsite_folder
Mapping: \\server\c$\apache_htdocs\testsite_folder -> \\server\c$\apache_htdocs\testsite_folder

In the above example, testsite.local is a domain name that points to the server.

The above works great for someone working by themselves but maybe with multiple PC's, servers, etc. that they want to utilise.

Issues can of course arise with multiple people editing the same files at the same time in which case a different approach is required. In that case having local copies of files can be a good idea, probably together with a code management/revision control system of some sort.

Thanks for the info and the example. I didn't see anyhing about it in the help. I'll give it a try.

Thanks again

Frank Polan
Code Navigator PHPEd 6.1