NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
[resolved] Code Insight Problem

I have a small problem with code insight in a project I'm working on. I've defined a class with a static method to return a PDO resource database connection. The code is this:

Code:

class dbConn {

private static $conn;

private function __construct(){}

static public function getConn ($dsn, $user, $pass) {
      if (is_null(self::$conn)) {
         self::$conn = new PDO($dsn, $user, $pass);
      }
      return self::$conn;
   }
}

I'm using this code in the constructor of another class to get a database connection with the following code:

Code:

$this->db = dbConn::getConn($conn, $user, $pass);

The problem is that $this->db is not recognised by PHPED as a PDO resource. When I use the property the IDE doesn't give me any code insight on the property meaning I have to manually type all of the methods, etc. Is this a bug or is there anything I can do to force code insight to recognise $this->db as a PDO resource?

Thanks.
Site Admin

your example works perfectly well:

If you're still experiencing the problem, it must be something else.

Last edited by dmitri on Thu May 07, 2009 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Thanks Dimitri. I can see that it works perfectly for you but unfortunately it doesn't for me. Do you have any suggestions as to what I can do to 'reset' the code insight for the file these classes are declared in? Are there any settings in PHPED that might affect this. The only thing you've done slightly differently to me is the order in which the classes are declared. In my file dbConn is declared after the class that calls it in setting $this->db. Could this be the problem?

Thanks again for your help.

I worked it out. I'm new to the PHPdoc format and had put a comment in the code saying '@var resource A PDO resource representing the connection to the database'. PHPED interpreted this as meaning that the variable $this->db was of the type 'resource'. As soon as I changed the comment to '@var PDO A PDO resource representing the connection to the database' it works without a problem.

Thanks again Dimitri and sorry for wasting your time.
[resolved] Code Insight Problem