NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Vardoc for $this inside view file

dmitri wrote:
Quote:
For $this it is a lot harder, but the parser in the IDE knows which class does the function call normally right?

No. It does not.
$this can be an instance of the method's class or any of the successors:

Code:
class AAA {
   function BBB() {
      return $this;
   }
}

class CCC extends AAA {   
}

$c = new CCC();
var_dump($c->BBB());

$a = new AAA();
var_dump($a->BBB());

Hi,

I have the same problem - how does PHPEd recognize $this via vardoc @var parameter?

Lots of frameworks will only include some view file, so "$this" construct is not defined within the view file.
However, the view file is always created by a controller.

So how can I tell inside view file, that "$this" should map to e.g. AdminController?

This is syntax used by Netbeans:
/* @var $this AdminController */
$this->getSomeProValue();

I tried
/**
* @var $this AdminController
*/

or
/**
* @var AdminController
*/

but neither of this works in NUSphere..

Can anybody give a clue on this?

Thanx in advance.
lubosdz
Site Admin

Indeed, $this is handled as a special case, the case with known class -- the class in the scope.
In the hand, I see no reason why PHPDOC would be ignored for $this, so we'll implement this in 6112 and the following declaration will work starting with this build:

Code:
/**
* @var AdminController
*/

Please note, that even though you can call succeessor code by "overriding" or casting class of $this, it certainly violates OOP practice.
For example, suppose we have a class A and another class B inherited from A. If you write a method in class B, you can call any other method in B and in A. This is okay. But you can not and should not call any method of B in A's method. Same goes to the properties.
These rules are followed automatically by PhpED code completion. With this case it will allow calling A and B from B, and won't list B's methods while coding A. You don't need any PHPDOC typehints to make it working in this way.