NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
code insight + backups + editor

It would be brilliant to see in nearest possible version:

1) improve code autocompletion with adding semicolon after function brackets, if function is not called as argument for other function (inside parent function brackets).
2a) autoincrement number in file extension on every file save, this feature is more secure way of making backup: fname.php.bak.001
2b) add .bak instead of ~ to the end of file name.
3) jump between function declarations (ctrl+pgup, ctrl+pgdn)

these features are available in phpEdit with I worked before, and I want to test nusphere support and feature request,
before I buy licence for our company.

regards.
ppv
Veteran

Dear ppv - we see your point very clear. BTW - you can be sure that our support is as good as it gets, there is no comparison to competion, I strongly beleive that.
Couple of questions regarding your suggestions:
Wouldn't it be easier to work with source control system like CVS instead of incrementing the version of the file every time you do save? After all that is what source control is for - even if you work alone. I can appreciate that you might be reluctant to introduce cvs or svn into your environment though, sure, however PhpED makes working with these system a piece of cake once you set it up. What do you think?
Site Admin

Quote:
jump between function declarations

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Could you please shed more light on this?
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

yfaktor wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to work with source control system like CVS instead of incrementing the version of the file every time you do save?

easier ? not always, I still did not get used to cvs, but Im using it ... when I have to. In our company we have cvs server to store our code, but sometimes for me is much easier to find removed parts of code from code few days (or hours) ago, than looking for it in cvs, or maybe I still don't know potential of cvs. Im updating cvs often, but not every day, so its clear now i think Smile .....

ddmitrie wrote:
Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Could you please shed more light on this?

yes, I meant definitions in fact, sorry. Example:
function FuncName1($var) {
//code
}
function FuncName2($var) {
//code
}
PhpEdit which Im using now (I want to change it because is very unstable) allows to easy
jump cursor between functions (bracket { ) by pressing ctrl-pgup and ctrl-pgdn. I get used to to this function,
in many cases is faster than using code browser tree.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've noticed today one more annoying thing, tool tip boxes which appear during debugging are
too small and contain little amount of data. I have high resolution screen and is wasting ... ! and I have to
wasting time using variables window. Please do not hesitate to take whole screen to display big yellow tool tip.
I saw this behavior in VC++ 7 and is really helpful, does not disturb.

-------------------------

Next thing related to debugging is displaying arrays (or objects) content in tooltips, I would be very nice
to avoid selecting variable name to see keys with values. Delphi has good solution, if Im pointing by mouse
variable name then I see keys with values, and when Im pointing on right side of index brackets then I see
value for current index. If array has more dimensions, behavior is similar, and I see values from more
nested arrays/values.

------------------------

And next feature what I would like to see in future is "factoring" variables, I mean easy and 'intelligent'
changing of variable names without search/replace in whole its scope. This feature has appeared in Delphi2005.

Question/request about code insight tooltips:
I would like to switch string view for tooltip like in context menu for strings in Locals window.

Is it possible to met some of my requests in near future?

regards.
ppv.
Site Admin

Quote:
tool tip boxes which appear during debugging are
too small and contain little amount of data

we'll make them adjusted to current display resolution (planned for build 4617)

Quote:
switch string view for tooltip like in context menu for strings in Locals window

thanks for pointing out to this inconsistence. (will be fixed in build 4617 or 4618)

Quote:

personally, I'm not sure if it is that useful, but planned for the next major version.

Quote:
would be very nice to avoid selecting variable name to see keys with values

thanks for suggestion. (added to the plans for 4618)
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

[quote="ddmitrie"]
Quote:
tool tip boxes which appear during debugging are
too small and contain little amount of data

we'll make them adjusted to current display resolution (planned for build 4617)
[quote]

still is some unused space, tooltip should use whole screen height, from top to bottom,
on tooltip on attached picture i have message "too many lines", but there is a lot of
space from top of the screen.

Next thing: why code completion does not support debugbreak() ?

Thank You & Best Regards,
ppv
Site Admin

Quote:
still is some unused space

Tooltip should never occupy all the screen, otherwise it will be nowhere to move mouse to get it removed.
Currently, it is limited to 66% on height and Display.Width-100 pixels on the width.
Quote:
why code completion does not support debugbreak() ?

Because it is not a "standard" php function. If you often use it, just add to the list of functions (see Tools->Settings->Reserved Words, predefined functions and tags).

Quote:
Tooltip should never occupy all the screen, otherwise it will be nowhere to move mouse

did you see that e.g. in MS Visual Studio? probably not, because there is ESC key is for this puropose,
I dont see problem for that, please allow user to set somwhere this to 100% (.ini file or somwhere).

regards

ppv wrote:
did you see that e.g. in MS Visual Studio? probably not, because there is ESC key is for this puropose,
I dont see problem for that, please allow user to set somwhere this to 100% (.ini file or somwhere).

I dearly hope you base your decision to acquire this great product (with great support!)
not only on the tooltip size feature. Laughing

I also have a phpEdit license, but stopped using it right after having evaluated/used
phpEd for just one day... for one the debugging is way better implemented I'd say.

Cheers,
Tobias

P.S.: please take my comments with a smile Smile
View user's profileFind all posts by condev1972Send private messageVisit poster's website

Quote:
not only on the tooltip size feature.

Smile maybe this is funny but when tooltips were so small (before one of last release) this was significant reason to not buy phped Smile, now it is partly fixed (are bigger), but still there is no line line wrapping, and still is wasting place on my screen.

I got used to use tooltips to view variable contents, I dont like "watch window" because needs much more mouse operations, of course in many cases is irreplaceable, but in most I use tooltips and are important for me.

What is more, I've not bought phped yet, Im still waiting for fix things I requested (one of reasons in fact). Im plannig to buy 2-3 pro licenses.

regards.
code insight + backups + editor