NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic

Its great that PhpED does the error checking, but please give us a way of making it shout at us when we make a mistake.
I need it to say STOP YOU'VE SCREWED UP AGAIN. I know I should train myself to check the right bar, but I've so many other things in my head that I just forget.

I have requested before that the right scroll bar / sqiggly line be made more obvious.

Why cant the whole of the right side bar be coloured red (with white markers) when there's an error, that would then be noticable.
Veteran

To be honest, between threads about it here, I always forget that the error bar thing even exists, so I'd have to agree that it's too subtle. I think this is especially true when working on a big screen where it can be pretty far away from the bulk of your code.
View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website
Veteran

I did not even know the Error tab existed ! Shocked

anno wrote:
I did not even know the Error tab existed ! Shocked

me too! i kept wondering "what red bars on the right scroll bar???" Then when I went and REALLY looked, I saw it. Yea, that needs to be a LOT bigger. Actually, what about moving it to the line number area, and have the line number flash when an error is detected? That would be MUCH more obvious, plus it would let you know immediately which line the problem is on.

same! that is why i keep pushing a feature to show a warning message saying that file is broken when you save it

Learnt something new today Smile

I'd like to see those markers in the line number area too.
Veteran

The only problem with using the line number area is that if the error is off-screen, you wont' see the indication. That's the nice thing about the error bar; it's just that it's way too subtle right now. I can imagine having some sort of "up" or "down" arrow appear at the appropriate end of the line number area to tell you there are errors above or below what's visible, respectively, that, when clicked, take you to the next error in that direction. However, I'm not sure how good this would look aesthetically, nor am I at all clear on the usability factors it may bring into play.

An alternative is to simply make the error bar more obvious. Perhaps if there's an error, the *entire* bar (it's fill color) could turn to a different color, and then still have the little stripes for specific errors. Combine this with a similar color change of the specific line number that marks the errant line to make finding the error visually easy, and the ability to click *near* (not just *on*) an error strip to be taken to that general vicinity of code, and we may have a decent solution.
View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website

I agree that there needs to be a more obvious display of errors. There needs to be a list of all the errors throughout the entire solution, along with short descriptions of the errors. I can't believe this is missing as EVERY other other IDE ever made for anything has this. It would also be nice if it was filterable to only show errors from one project within the solution, or just the currently viewed file.
Code compile check