Yes
70%
 70%  [ 17 ]
No
29%
 29%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 24

Close Tabs Using Middle Mouse Button Click

I got accustomed to close Firefox tabs (and many other applications) with a middle mouse click which is much faster than Right Clicking and click Close on those tabs. I found myself many times middle-clicking on a Nusphere tab trying to close it. Here's some ideas from eclipse project.

Quote:
Makes possible to close tabs with a middle mouse button click. This is much faster than using the tab close button, because of the much bigger target area. Especially this trick helps when closing multiple tabs. During such operation the remaining tabs get resized, and, as result, those little close buttons move around a lot. Getting accustomed to closing tabs with middle click in Firefox, it is frustrating to find myself clicking on Eclipse editors tab trying to close them. "Middle Click Closes Tab" plugin brings this feature to Eclipse.

This easy to implement feature will boost developer's productivity Smile
Bad idea, for two reasons

As someone with an occasional finger twitch, I consider it a bad idea to make destructive operations that easy with the mouse. That's especially true because it's easy for me to accidentally double click, especially with my middle and right fingers. The result would be closing both the intended tab and whichever random tab took its place under the mouse pointer. Obviously this could be configurable, but then that just adds to bloat.

Secondly, this is just a partial improvement to the problem of wanting to close multiple tabs at once. At a minimum, it should come after the request to have close buttons visible in every tab. But even with both changes, there's still other issues: Not all tabs are visible at once, the position of the tab is often not relevant to finding the tabs that you want to close, and the tab title isn't enough to identify the tabs. (This last is a particular problem for me because of the unfortunate naming convention in symfony 1.0, where many files are given the same name.) Now there's nothing wrong with a limited improvement for a user task, unless that delays what's actually needed. If we could also get some sort of window management dialog at the same time, then this objection goes away.

A confirmation box would be displayed if you tried to close unsaved work, just as it does now, so a twitch (which I also suffer) wouldn't be a problem.

It doesn't solve all tabbing problems but then no one thing is going to, I think it's a nice addition.

Quboid wrote:
A confirmation box would be displayed if you tried to close unsaved work, just as it does now, so a twitch (which I also suffer) wouldn't be a problem.

The problem isn't losing unsaved work, it's losing my place.

I very often work with large code bases that I didn't write. I frequently solve problems by stepping through the debugger, which can easily take me through a couple of dozen files, only two or three of which are actually the ones I need to work with. When I get what I need from the debugging session, I'll leave the debugger (losing the call stack), and perhaps close a number of extraneous windows. If I accidentally close the wrong one, I'm screwed. I have to go through the entire session again, because I have no idea what the filename was. The only thing I have to find my place is the visual pattern of the page. I may set breakpoints along the way, but that has its own downside.

I really love the workspace feature of PhpED, because it's a great mechanism for me to keep track of where I am in a particular project. But it means depending on a particular set of files staying open to the same place over time. Anything that disturbs the reliability of the workspace is a problem for me.
Provide option to activate this feature?

Why don't we just provide an option to activate this feature in the settings? Many love this feature ... many hates it. Let them choose which one the best for them.
Re: Provide option to activate this feature?

alejandre wrote:
Why don't we just provide an option to activate this feature in the settings? Many love this feature ... many hates it. Let them choose which one the best for them.

I agree...
Re: Provide option to activate this feature?

alejandre wrote:

+1 for this suggestion.

What I'm saying is that at a minimum, first add the close button to each tab before implementing the ctrl-click. Don't let the quick and dirty be an excuse for postponing something that has also been requested in the past, that will be usable by more people, and that will be an obvious feature without having to read the docs.

This is a very "personal" feature. Many of us are used to work in different manners... i.e. I am addicted to the "double-click on tab" like in UltraEdit and am missing it in PhpEd since the beginning (5.1).

A good way would be IMHO to make it configurable:
- Middle-Mouse-Button close
- Double-Click close
- X button in the tab (like in browsers) -> this extends the length of the tab
- A combination of any of them (if you trust your fingers *g*)

I think these are obvious functions anyway Smile

Cheers

+1 for the X button on each tab. I miss this pretty much every time I use PhpED.
Close Tabs Using Middle Mouse Button Click