NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Clone document to other tab via right click on Document Tab

Thank you for such a polished Text editor the features are literally second to none especially the syntax highlighting and code folding.!

Only thing missing is the ability to clone a document to another tab so that you can work on the same document with multiple tab views.

That is literally the only thing missing from this program for me.

The inability to open multiple tabs of the same file when working on multithousand line scripts gets daunting/difficult with all the scrolling around.

The split view only splits 2 ways and sometimes I need 4-5 views of the same file.

Do you have any plans to implent this functionality at all?
Guru master

+1

I would find that useful as well.

I've found that when debugging the split view sometimes re-sync's the two views back to the same statement, so hopefully that wouldn't be a problem with two windows showing the same document Wink Maybe the extra views could be somehow auto-disabled for breakpoints.
Site Admin

Right click on the file tab -> Duplicate.
It is available in phped v9

Hi Dmitri, Duplicate creates a *copy* of the current document in a new nonameX.php document, it is not a new view. What I was referring to (and I assume qazzi76 was as well) is the ability to have multiple *views* of the same document. Similar to a split view but in separate windows. In UltraEdit it is called Window > Duplicate Window, in Word/Excel it is View > New Window and in Visual Studio it is Window > New Window. In IntelliJ IDEA it is called Split View but rather than being a split view in the PhpED sense, it is actually a new view window which you can drag away and float, etc.
Site Admin

Sorry, I didn't realize that.
Now I have to ask what's wrong with out _split_ view? Why do you need a separated tab to change the same file?

I have two issues with split view, one of which maybe I should report as a bug:

1. Split view in all of the applications that I listed supports multiple views, not just two views. That is useful if working on more than two sections of code (particularly good for Magento XML Layouts). Also, good to be able to split a view and float it as a separate window allows two full sections of code to be worked on (eg long and wide code that does not fit well in the PhpED single editor window with a horizontal or vertical split).

2. Split view in PhpED often syncs both of the views back to the same code, which may be a bug.

Example which I am working on now:

* Two files open; an XML with a split view and a PHP file with a break point
* In the XML, I view two different sections of code. In this case literally top and bottom of the file in the two views.
* Run a test and the breakpoint is hit. PhpED shows the PHP file with the breakpoint.
* If I go back to the XML, both views are now showing the same bit of XML, for whichever bit of XML my cursor was last in.

I was hoping that a separate view window would therefore have its own curosor position and would not end up showing the view after hitting a breakpoint.
Site Admin

1. to avoid misleading and taking into account that we already have Duplicate for the documents, the feature should be called Clone View, not clone document
2. it sounds like a bug indeed --> please submit all details with sample of code. With what you explained, it's unclear what relation is between xml and php, and why would an xml be affected during debug session. Will it do the same if you open arbitrary text file and start debugging something trivial like echo 'hello world'?

Hi Dmitri, I agree with Clone View.

No relation between the files, yes will happen with a text file and any PHP.

I just opened 6 unrelated PHP files, split them all, placed the cursor at the top of the top view and bottom of the file in the bottom view (including specifically placing the cursor; not just scrolling) ran up the project with a break point on the first statement and all the split views scrolled to show the same position in each file, which was the last position where the cursor was placed.

No sample code required; happens with any file. It's not a new problem; I'm sure it has done this for as long as I can remember.

I will report it. Smile
Site Admin

I can't reproduce this issue. Please submit a report with all details.

The back and forth here while interesting doesn't address my initial query Sad

Right clicking and Duplicate clearly doesn't create a new TAB with another view of the file.

As stated in my initial comment, I and I'm sure many others need the ability to view sections of large scritpts that can run into many thousands of lines.

The Dual/Split View is simply inadequate for this.

We need the ability to clone document to multiple tabs.

Will this feature be implemented?

Are there any plans to implement this feature?

Over to you dimitri.
Clone document to other tab via right click on Document Tab