NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
[resolved] chm under Vista

I've just changed laptops and the new one is loaded with Vista Home Premium. I've installed PhpED and evrything is working well except the on-line hellp system.

Originally when selecting Help/phpmanual I got a message screen indicating that the screen was compiled. So I downloaded a copy of the php manual and placed it in the phped/help folder.

Now I get a split screen with the index (or contents) displayed in the left frame and the address not valid in the right hand screen.

What setting have I missed?

Thanks
View user's profileFind all posts by qbusterSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Veteran

I suspect you have run into this Windows security issue http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896358.

The following steps might solve the problem:

• Locate the Help file, e.g. php_manual_en.chm, in Windows Explorer and double-click it. If you see a warning measage, clear the check box that says "Always ask before opening this file".
  • Alternatively, right-click the Help file, select Properties and click Unblock.

anno wrote:
I suspect you have run into this Windows security issue http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896358.

The following steps might solve the problem:

• Locate the Help file, e.g. php_manual_en.chm, in Windows Explorer and double-click it. If you see a warning measage, clear the check box that says "Always ask before opening this file".
  • Alternatively, right-click the Help file, select Properties and click Unblock.

I'd Googled a similar suggestion but the problem is that the file does open (so therefore there is no Unblock button) but it only shows the Index/Contents - if one clicks on an item in the index and/or content the right hand screen just says page not available.

I think you are correct that this is a permissions issue and it does seem to be specific to php_manual_en.chm as all the other .chm files (Mysql, Nusphere PhpED, CSS, HTML etc) work normally. Having just started with Vista, I am still familiarising myself with it (it is quite different from XP in the way handles security).

Thanks for your input - I will persist until I find a slution!

Cheers

Will
View user's profileFind all posts by qbusterSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Veteran

My php_manual_en.chm is working fine, and not prompting me to allow access anymore, nor it the Unblock option available anymore. Windows is clearly saving the security status of the Help file somewhere, but I am unable to figure out where. I do not know if it is a registry setting, or perhaps file attribute.

Guessing a bit, I think the following might work:
  • Delete the Help file that is troubling you.
  • Download the Help file again from php.net and put it in some other folder.
  • Right-click / Properties the Help file and Unblock it. It should now work the way you want it to.
  • Move the new Help file to the folder where you really want it.

anno wrote:

Guessing a bit, I think the following might work:
  • Delete the Help file that is troubling you.
  • Download the Help file again from php.net and put it in some other folder.
  • Right-click / Properties the Help file and Unblock it. It should now work the way you want it to.
  • Move the new Help file to the folder where you really want it.

While you were suggesting that, I downloaded the zip file instead of the .chm file and unzipped it directly
into the nusphere/php/help folder. Then I right clicked to look at the properties - still no Unblock, but when
I try to open it I get a series of Vista security windows which I follow through and, lo and behold, it is now
working normally. For the record, it seems that the original problem may have been related to:

a) Downloading the actual .chm file (the zip file was ultimately successful) and/or
b) The presence of other files in the zip and/or
b) The choice of download folders

I can see the benefits of the new Vista security features but MS really do need to back it up with clear
instructions of how to get around related issues!

Cheers - thanks for the leaders

Will
[resolved] chm under Vista