NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Change file encoding for many files

I have several PhpED project where I'd like to change the file encoding for all files from ISO-8859-1 to utf8. I know that I can open each file, select a new encoding and save the file. However, is there a way to change the file encoding for all files in a project or directory at the same time?

Thanks,
Mitchell
Site Admin

Why don't you set encoding for the project's root directory?
See project root input and [properties] button on the right.

PLEASE NOTE, that endoding for all the files you've worked with, is rememberered and won't change until you save the file with appropriate encoding.
Directory's encoding is the default to be used when file's encoding is not known (e.g. when you open it first time).

Yes, I changed the project's default encoding, however unless I'm missing something, I still have to open every file, change the encoding for the file in the lower right corner of the IDE, and save the file. There are a lot of projects and files, so I was wondering if there was a way to change the encoding for a whole project at once.

Thanks,
Mitchell
Site Admin

If the files contain non-ASCII characters, for example ISO-8859-1 and you want to convert them to another encoding (utf-Cool, you have to use tools like iconv.exe.
If you already have UTF-8 files, but the IDE by mistake recognizes them as ISO-8859-1, you just need to change the encoding setting in the project properties.