NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Can you recommend some site for downloading MySql?

Hi
I'm new to php and mqsql.

So the first thing i need to do is installing MqSql. So any recommendations on that? Download from?

When using PhpED i don't need a webserver like apache. If i had not installed PhpEd i would have needed to
run my php scripts from localhost = the apache root directory but....

Is it possible with PhpED installed to run php scripts and access MySql from any directory?

When installing MySQL is there any considerations of where to install the MySQL program directory?

Stefan Brus

If you are developing web sites that are going to run on web servers, you should consider installing something like Apache. You could then choose a WAMP (Windows Apache MySQL PHP) package. Some of those packages give you convenient control panels for managing a few development web sites.

The PHP that runs from PhpED is normal PHP but it is not a full web server like Apache and will have some differences compared with Apache.

If you just want MySQL by itself then you can download that from http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/ and choose the MySQL Community Server (GPL)

You can use the default install options and it will ask you a few questions so that it is configured a bit better for your intended usage.

When MySQL is installed you can technically access it from anything on the computer, not just PhpED or PHP. The directory does not matter. In fact, I do not even have MySQL on my PhpED computer; it is installed on a separate server and I use it over the network.
Can you recommend some site for downloading MySql?

Thank you for your reply

I thought i just needed PhpED, but when you say "should consider" downloading a wamp i will do that.
So which wamp is best? https://sourceforge.net/projects/wampserver/ maybe?

I got the feeling that the "normal" php in PhpED will have enough functionality in most cases.
For example a php page doing an read, insert, update or delete could be run from within PhpED

What kind of functions do not PhpED support that is essential?
Could i live without them?

Or do you think that a complete test of a php webpage should be performed with apache before deploying to production site?