NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Can't initialize character set (libmysql.dll)

I upgraded to the latest release of PhpED V8.1, build (8115) and am now unable to use the db-form wizard, which has worked for me in the past.

I've verified MySQL is running, I create a new blank PHP page then start the db-form wizard.
It prompts me to enter my database connection information.

This is a development machine, off the network and it's account/database/login/user information never changes. So, I enter the account name
along with the login "root", there is no password for that account so I leave it blank. After I click "next" a modal error dialog appears saying:

Quote:

libmysql.dll failed to start and returned error: (Can't initialize character set utf8 (path c:\mysql\\share\charsets\))
In order to connect to mysql database, you have to download and install <b>MySQL Connector/C</b> available from <a href="http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/c/">MySQL web site</a>, then enter path to libmysql.dll on <b>Tools->Settigns->External tools</b> page.
[OK]

As the dialog suggested, I downloaded the libmysql.dll from mysql.com and replaced the version Nusphere installed in the C:\Program Files\NuSphere\PhpED\libmysql.dll. It did not change the outcome, the dialog still fails with the same modal dialog above.

My current development environment is running:

WinXP with all current updates
    WAMP stack XAMPP v1.8.0
    PHP v5.4.4.
    MySQL Database server
    Server: localhost via TCP/IP
    Software: MySQL
    Software version: 5.5.25a - MySQL Community Server (GPL)
    Protocol version: 10
    Server charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)

I've verified the following PhpED settings (their default):

Set for PHP version 5.3 and higher
    External tools settings for database libraries are pointing to the default: libmysql.dll in c:\Program F\files\Nusphere\PhpED\libmysql.dll

Can you help me figure out what may be set incorrectly, or what I may be doing incorrectly?

Thank you.

Best regards.

I'm not sure exactly what the problem was, but I fixed it by re-creating the project file. It works fine now!

Thanks!

I get the same message (similar setup as you, except I'm on win7 64bit) and can't get it to work by following the instructions. What's ridiculous is I had the same issue with my PhpEd version 6, which I wasted the day trying to get the database feature to work. I installed the version 10 trial hoping that this problem has been taken care of (I realize there was some kind of licensing issue with MySQL in the past which is why users were forced to jump through hoops to get a database connection working). Anyway, I give up on this software. It's a total waste of my time.
Good luck to everyone else.
Site Admin

This message is raised by libmysql.dll, not by PhpED and can't be "fixed" in PhpED. You can fix it by installing MySQL Connector-C 32bit version and
pointing to libmysql.dll in your Program Files (x86) subdirectory.
If you copied libmysql.dll into phped's directory, you have to delete it first.

I'm having the same problem, but none of the solutions I've found work.

There are two problems I can can immediately see with the location in the message: c:\mysql\\share\charsets

1. There is a double slash in the location, which means it probably wouldn't work as is anyway.
2. My mysql isn't installed in this folder. In fact c:\mysql doesn't exist at all, for this reason.

I've found several copies of libmysql.dll: in the phped root folder, in the mysql\lib folder and in the mysql\connectorc\lib folder.

I've looked in the index.xml file in mysql\share\charsets folder in the installation location and it does have a utf8 section.

In the phped settings Tools->External Tools->Database libraries section, there are two settings for libmysql, one for libmysqld.dll (which is empty) and the other for libmysql.dll (which points to the connectorc version).

I am using a Win 7 64bit, WAMP setup, with the 64bit version of connectorc.

So my question is:

Which one of the two libmysql settings do I need to change and which version of libmysql.dll is the correct one to point the settings to?

Debbie
View user's profileFind all posts by Debbie-LeighSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

Debbie, do not use libmysql.dll from arbitrary locations on your disk. You _HAVE_ to download and install Connector-C mysql client (32bit if you use 32bit PhpED or 64bit if you use 64bit PhpED). There are no other choises. Then find libmysql.dll from the installed location, and enter path to it in the phped settings. If you get the same problem after that, please report it to MySQL AB.

Hi dmitri,

The libmysql.dll setting was already set to the Connector-C location, which I downloaded and installed from the Mysql site. I did have the 64bit version installed, because I have a 64bit machine, but I've now installed the 32bit version and it works.

I guess the reason is pretty obvious really - I have the 32bit version of phpEd installed.

Thank you for the prompt in your reply, though.

One more question: What is the libmysqld.dll setting for and should it be entered as well?

Debbie
View user's profileFind all posts by Debbie-LeighSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

libmysqld.dll is a server-less client for mysql db, pretty similar to sqlite. MySQL calls it Embedded Database.
It works if you select corresponding driver type in the account settings.