NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Can't FTP to FileZilla ftp server

Hi, trying to FTP to a Windows 2003 server. PHPEd appears to connect fine but the change directory CWD command doesn't work, I keep getting back CWD failed. "C:/": Permission denied. My default remote folder is not C:\ by the way.

I think the permissions are correct as I can try this in a regular client such as filezilla with the same login details and it connects fine.

Is this due to the difference in path formatting between Windows and Unix, especially when it comes to disk drives? If its any help, my FTP service is set to use Unix style listings and not MS-DOS.

Any help would be gratefully receieved,
John.
Site Admin

can you post there settings for the ftp account (except login/password, of course) ?
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
ftp settings

yep, here you go:

initial dir: /C:/Inetpub/dev.XXXX.XXXX
port: 21
passive mode on (have tried without)
no ssl
no cache
socks disabled
Site Admin

/C:/Inetpub/dev.XXXX.XXXX is an incorrect ftp directory, so it's okay to get error message as a result. Use any _valid_ ftp directory available on your ftp server
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

sorry, that folder name was also the name of the domain in question and so I blanked it out with X's - its a valid folder name (under both windows and unix). If it is the XXXXXX's you are talking about?

when i use the same (unmasked!) path it works fine in filezilla.
Site Admin

no. Whole the directory does NOT look correct. First, leave this field blank and after you logged in check how the directories in the FTP look like.

hello, thanks for the speedy reply. i've tried with the field blank and also with a combination of unix and ms-dos type paths. i think i understand how the path may look incorrect but it does work in other ftp clients.
cheers.
Site Admin

in most cases you have a filesystem directory mapped as FTP server home (root). For example, C:\ftproot\
in this case all the directories _BELOW_ this one are visible in FTP and they are always delimited by backslash /. File system itself remains unavailable and therefore /c:/ftproot/ is incorrect. Even though, if it works good with some ftp servers it is nothing more but a security hole...

Hi, I have tried a normal windows formatted path to the root folder as you've demonstrated, and this still presents the same message, as i'd expect to be honest.

Would you expect it to work ok with an empty inital directory field? (it doesn't for me.) I imagine that it should work?
Site Admin

Sorry if I didn't make it clear. I demonstrated that filesytem directory names should NOT work.
In the sample I demonstrated, suppose you have
c:\ftproot as the FTP root, and there are some directories in, for example:
c:\ftproot\mydir1
and
c:\ftproot\mydir1\mydir2

in this case you can access to these directories as
/mydir1
and
/mydir1/mydir2

while c:\ftproot\mydir1 nor c:\ftproot\mydir1\mydir2 does NOT work
needless to say that /c:/ftproot/mydir1 /c:/ftproot/mydir1/mydir2 are incorrect anyways.
still not working

hi there , I have tried both / and /dev.xxx.xxx/ as the initial folders as suggested but it refuses to change the remote path Sad

Could something strange be happening? - I am receiving the error consistently, although I am not 100% sure why that message being displayed, it appears to me that PHPEd's FTP client is trying to access the c:\ root.

I've double checked the permissions and have absolutely no problems connecting via other popular FTP clients.

cheers
john
Site Admin

well. Let's check 3 things then Smile
1) check FTP logs (you may want to enable them first) and post them there.
2) check FTP own settings.
3) check Project settings (root publishing directory in particular). It should be FTP style directory.

FYI, directories in FTP are organized in unix-like style. You can never use anything windows-like.
Can't FTP to FileZilla ftp server