NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Can I drag a code template to the toolbar?

Hi,

I can never figure out how code templates work, nor can I remember the text I have to type for each one.

Is there any way to drag them to the tool bar? So they become buttons that I can click on.

I have done this with the 'Toggle line comment' which works like a beaut! I select lines of text, then click on the button. Instant comment joy.

I want to be able to click on a button called 'sql' and it dumps my SQL snippet. Is there a way to do this? Please? Pretty please?

I hate learning new languages, I already need Python, PHP, SMARTY, HTML, JavaScript (and AJAX) and SQL just to make a web page, I don't want to learn some 'code template' language as well Shocked Shocked

Thanks,

monk.e.boy

Oh, I forgot to say that I am a paying customer. If that helps Smile Smile And I advocate PhpEd all the time in the PHP Freaks forums Very Happy

monk.e.boy

I don't think there's a way to add a "Trigger X code template" button to the toolbar, but honestly it would take longer for me to switch back to my mouse, click a button and switch back than using the code template trigger (CTRL-J by default).

The beauty of the code templates is that you're the one setting up the 'language', so you can make the shortcuts whatever you want. For example, I have all my PHPDocumentor code blocks set up in templates, so when I need to do a new block for a new file I just type "pagedoc", press CTRL-J and it prints my code block for me. You could do the same thing with your SQL code by creating a template with a trigger word like "sql" or maybe "ssql" for selects, "isql" for inserts, etc. It's up to you so make it fit your coding style Smile

nothsa wrote:
It's up to you so make it fit your coding style Smile

Yes. I understand that, thanks. I actually knew everything you pointed out, I'm not that challenged.

But what I want is to have a visual reminder of the templates I have set up. Let me repeat - visual reminder.

As I said I don't want to have to remember to type 'sqlins' when I could just click a button. And I'm not so anal as to set a timer and try to see which is faster, searching my memory for that half remembered template language or moving my hand and using the mouse to click on a button. So I think the "it's quicker argument" is a bunch of arse.

And who the hell is typing code 100% of the time? 50-60% of my coding time is spent pondering the best way to do something. I don't feel it is a race and who ever is quickest wins.

Anyway, after all that justification, I feel I have the time to click a button Wink Wink

monk.e.boy

monkies wrote:
Yes. I understand that, thanks. I actually knew everything you pointed out, I'm not that challenged.

I did not imply that you were challenged. Not knowing something doesn't prove an inability to learn. I didn't even know about code templates until someone suggested it on the forums.

monkies wrote:
And who the hell is typing code 100% of the time? 50-60% of my coding time is spent pondering the best way to do something. I don't feel it is a race and who ever is quickest wins.

Coding isn't a race, it just appears that your coding process is different from mine. My planning/refinement stages are done away from the computer and then, when I'm at my computer, I spend 90-95% of the time typing code (I find that I can finish projects faster when I do it this way), so I find it annoying to switch to my mouse and then click back on the spot where I want to start typing again.

Now, back to your question Smile

As I'm sure you're aware, pressing the code template trigger (without typing any text before it) will bring up a list of all of your code templates, if you need a reminder. Also, partially typing the word will bring up a partial list. I think this is the best you can hope for right now.

This is in the Feature Request forum, so hopefully they'll take note of it for a future release Smile
All I needed...

Actually nothsa, all I needed was HOW to activate the code templates... just finding out that I needed to use "CTRL J" was enough to make the magic happen!

Thanks,
Bradley
Can I drag a code template to the toolbar?