NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Browser encoding and display

I have an odd discrepancy between how my browser displays the same file when delivered from the PhpEd SRV server, and from my remote webserver. The browser I'm using in both cases is Mozilla (external).

The visible change is that when receiving the file from PhpEd, everything is reduced in size by about 10%. Instead of displaying things as described by the CSS (e.g. width=100px), it squeezes those 100 pixels into around 90 pixels. I therefore lose some of the 1px wide gridlines in my tables. When the very same page is run off the remote server, the browser displays it correctly, pixel for pixel.

Looking at what the browser is seeing (actual HTML and CSS received) I see no differences (other than the Server URL of course). However in View Page Info it shows the encoding coming from the remote server as UTF-8 (which is what I want), but the encoding of the page coming from PhpEd shows up as being Windows-1252.

I have no idea whether the encoding can affect the size rendering of non-text objects, but to check it out, I want at least to change the encoding received from PhpEd to UTF-8. I've gone into various settings menus where PhpEd allows me to specify the Encoding, and have changed them to UTF-8. But the browser still shows the page as coming through in Windows-1252.

So 2 questions:
- What should I do to ensure that the page from PhpEd comes through encoded as UTF-8?
- Do you have any idea what might be causing the reduction in rendered size?

Thanks in advance
Site Admin

Neither of the problem have any realation to NuSphere products.

FYI if you want to create a UTF-8 page, don't forget to add either header with UTF-8 encoding or appropriately formed html meta tag. Without that, the browser makes decision and this decision may be wrong:
header('Content-Type text/html; charset=UTF-8');
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

Regarding size, neither SRV nor PhpED have any control on the HTML rendering. You may want to check page scale and font size properties in the browser.

I just checked and everything works fine, the rendered table is exactly 100px wide:

OK, thanks.

I posted the query in case anyone had experienced this before, or in case the NuSphere folks knew anything about it.

I'm still mystified. The same HTML, same headers, same meta, same browser behaves differently if it's passing through NuSphere and its SRV server on my local machine, or if it's passing through Apache on my remote Linux server.

It must be either to do with NuSphere, or with the SRV server, or with some other aspect of my local environment. Since I don't currently have any other web server running on my local machine it's hard for me to test it outside of NuSphere.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not surprised you say it's not to do with NuSphre, but I had to eliminate that option first.

Best regards

Daniel
Site Admin

First of all, try the html I posted here. If it works fine, the problem is in the html you created. Otherwise try Google's Chrome browser; it shows "calculated" CSS and you'll get an idea on what's going wrong with the other parts if this is not Mozilla itself.

I think it has to be to do with the scaling feature (press Ctl and roll the mouse wheel to zoom in and out). In experimenting, I did that (which I've never done consciously before) and I can make your red box zoom in and out at will. The virtual ruler provided by my Web Developer toolbar still says it's 100px, but the ruler too has zoomed.

If I quit and return, my new page is still zoomed, but if I load the same page from the remote server it's not zoomed. This is the opposite of what I had before, where the local version was reduced (zoomed out rather than in).

Do you know where the info about what is zoomed and what is not is stored? Is it a cookie? And can I find out what my current degree of zooming is? Or set it back to 100% rather than just rolling the wheel and guessing?

Thanks for your help (if you have the time) - but I agree with you this is not a NuSphere issue.
Site Admin

Quote:
Do you know where the info about what is zoomed and what is not is stored? Is it a cookie?

I think it depends on browser's cache.

Quote:
And can I find out what my current degree of zooming is? Or set it back to 100% rather than just rolling the wheel and guessing?

Try View->Scale Smile

Yes, that fixes it!

Thanks very much for your help.
Browser encoding and display