NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Breakpoints not assigned in Localhost Drupal code

I've read the Technical FAQ on breakpoints, and, tried using the Project Wizard, but, I'm still not able to set working breakpoints. I don't see the magic blue dots in any of the code I want to debug. I do, however, see them in index.php, but, that's the only place.

I've used previous versions of PHPED and don't recall having this problem. Can someone shed some light on getting breakpoints to actually work?
Site Admin

Make sure that you trying to set breakpoints in code that is directly executed.
I can think of multiple ways of indirect execution -- for example whole the file could be somehow transformed to something else on the fly, then passed to php eval(). In this case -- breakpoints won't work. Also it's possible that a file could be executed only once, then cached results would be shown -- in this case too, breakpoints won't work. I'd recommend you to check the output of implode("\n", debug_backtrace()) placed on the target line. If there is eval() function call somewhere in the stack or you don't get the output at all, you can't get breakpoint working on this line.

Thanks for the response. However, I know the code is executing because I see some debug messages I added to the function(s).
Site Admin

what does debug_backtrace() show?

Drupal uses extensions such as .module, .install and .inc instead of .php

Be sure to add these extensions in Settings > IDE > Associations for file type PHP.

This is what I have set for mine:

Code:
*.php;*.inc;*.php3;*.phtml;*.shtml;*.module;*.include;*.theme;*.install

Thanks. I have resolved this. I remember in the past the difficulty I had with using the Settings Wizard. I had to run it several times until I hit upon the settings for running Drupal on a Windows Xampp localhost. I can now set breakpoints.
Site Admin

I can hardly imagine why you'd need to run it multiple times unless you do it differently each time. Right, it may be complicated if your files are in different physical path than the path you used to work with. Unfortunately PHP works with physical/real path only and debugger sees the files attributed with this real path. For example if you have ~/symlinked_path/filename.php which is physically in /var/www/html/filename.php and set breakpoint in it using ~/symlinked_path/filename.php path, debugger won't break in /var/www/html/filename.php for you because from the debugger perspectives it is just a different file.