NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Veteran

Quote:
What about applications developed using other platforms e.g. Delphi or Visual Basic?

Since when has rebranding or private labelling been synonymous with copyright violation?

There's still the issue of user friendliness.I
I am actually not quite sure that we should compare PhpDock with Delphi or other programming language. Language is the development tool, while PhpDock is a deployment platform.
It would be more similar to Java' jre conceptually (oops. did I say Java here Mad ?)
You deploy jre along with your Java app and you can't really re-name it. The user sees Java native error - and basically says the same thing you wrote about PhpDock, except it is Java he/she would complain about - yet, there are no complaints on that.
I don' t mean to argue, I would like to hear your opinion on this subject.
BTW, this sounds more like a subject for a BLOG rather than Forum posting, but we don't have NuSphere blogs yet Smile
Many thanks

Hello,

The point is PhpDock is an application that is generally sold to developers who distrubute their own applications. Sure people may know that its made using phpdock, but why is there the need to advertise it? PHP does not make you place a "Programmed with PHP" on your site. Also mysql does not make you put a "MySql database used" on your site. Microsoft excel lets you create .CSV files which are not branded (maybe a bad example? Smile

The point is, there is no reason to have phpDock branding on the applications generated. There is also no reason to not even allow us to pay a small free to remove branding. You would probably earn more through branding removal than any referrals you would get through branding the software.
Site Admin

would you please help us and compose a short list of places where phpdock does brand itself?

dmitri wrote:
would you please help us and compose a short list of places where phpdock does brand itself?

I'll start!

- The filename of the Phpdock executable, phpdock.exe.
- The filename of the Phpdock licence file, phpdock.lic.
- The filename of the Phpdock ini file, phpdock.ini.
- The title of the application browser window says "[my application name] - NuSphere PHPDock"

I just came across PhpDock and i thought it is exactly what we needed until i saw this post. I totally agree with the rebranding. I do not believe we will buy and use it mostly because of this branding issue. I thougt rebranding is common sense and that it can be made easily.

Will wrote:
dmitri wrote:

I'll start!

- The filename of the Phpdock executable, phpdock.exe.
- The filename of the Phpdock licence file, phpdock.lic.
- The filename of the Phpdock ini file, phpdock.ini.
- The title of the application browser window says "[my application name] - NuSphere PHPDock"

You can rename the executable, license file, and ini file to anything you want. From what I've found, the only place you can't hide it is in the title bar of the application.

clarkke8 wrote:
You can rename the executable, license file, and ini file to anything you want. From what I've found, the only place you can't hide it is in the title bar of the application.

I suppose the natural question to ask is whether that's permissable under the terms of the PHPDock licence?
Site Admin

We did never ban renaming of the files. You're free to do this. You are not permitted to modify their content (obivously, except configs)

No debranding option yet? I already own the IDE, but im not buying this unless there is atleast an option to hide all branding.

Same here, I already purchased PHPED, was wondering about purchasing PhpDock
and probably NuCoder then I saw the calling home and brand problem and step back.

I like the way your three products PhpED PhpDock and NuCoder can be used together
but no way... I will not pay for something that explain to my clients which tools I used,
advertising itself or anything else like that...

If PhpDock can allow me to make application with no PhpDock references, I will probably
buy it. This would mean (even for a small added fee) :

- Nothing about PhpDock in an about menu

- Nothing about PhpDock in a window title

- Nothing about PhpDock during installation

- No unwanted network activity at all (no call back) [EDITED by author : In fact there is currently no such thing]

That was just my own criterias. A pity if you will not allow me to do this but then I will
simply not buy phpDock. No Offense. I am in love with PhpEd Smile

Last edited by fredmar on Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Site Admin

What "calling home" do you mean?
It makes NO network activity.
Quote:
- No unwanted network activity at all (no call back or anything else)

There is no unwanted network activity in any of NuSphere products.
It's our way. We don't need to monitor you Smile

as of the rest things (de-branding), we're still considering it.

dmitri wrote:
What "calling home" do you mean?
There is no unwanted network activity in any of NuSphere products.
It's our way. We don't need to monitor you Smile

I misunderstood something at the start of this thread Smile

Quote:
as of the rest things (de-branding), we're still considering it.

Make a reply here if anything is changing about the other points... and keep on the amazing work.
branding?