NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Bookmark enhancement request

Sure would be nice for the Goto Bookmark menu automatically displayed the line of code that was at the bookmark rather than "bookmark 3"
View user's profileFind all posts by bchertovSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

I think this may add some problems. Suppose you have 3 bookmarks #1, #2 and #3 on 11, 12, and 13 lines respectively. Then you insert new line bettwen 8 and 9. You'll get bookmark #2 on the line number where #3 was just a second ago, so you will mess them.
Another problem is that bookmarks belong to particular position, not line, therefore you may have even two or more bookmarks on the same line.

I don't understand the 2 bookmarks on the same line bit, but...

There will be a a line, possibly blank, at the position of the bookmark. The bookmark menu should show you what you'll see when get there. If the line get's pushed down in the editor, then the line would be changed in the bookmark menu.

In addition (or alternatively) it would be good to be able to name the bookmarks. It could default to the line of code that was there when you create the bookmark, possibly with an option to change the name if the code changes (or gets pushed down).

I can't be the only one that has trouble with trying to remember whether I left bookmark 2 or bookmark 3 at a place!

This is a really good suggestion! It will be at the top of your enhancement list when you announce the next rev! (which you should send me free of charge!)

Barry
View user's profileFind all posts by bchertovSend private messageVisit poster's website
Guru master

bchertov wrote:
This is a really good suggestion! It will be at the top of your enhancement list when you announce the next rev! (which you should send me free of charge!)

You should add a "jedi wave" when you say stuff like that Wink
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

Quote:
In addition (or alternatively) it would be good to be able to name the bookmarks

Right. Would be nice to be able to name it and add comments.
But bookmarks you can easily drop/remove them and lose their names and comments by mistake.
Personally I think TODOs embedded in the code and reflatected in a dedicated window would be even better.

dmitri wrote:
(...)
Personally I think TODOs embedded in the code and reflatected in a dedicated window would be even better.

Can't wait for it!
Guru master

I couldn't agree more.... Eclipse has a dedicated Task window for that, you can define which tags are interpreted as a task yourself @TODO for example.
Bookmarks is something I personally use when I'm working on a file and have to jump between different points, not as a dedicated location storage (i just do a search on my @TODO entries for that stuff)
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website

TODOS is code is a different thing, as blizz pointed out. Bookmarks are temporary and I don't want to edit the code to add or remove them. They are temporary while I am working on something.

Not to beat a dead horse, but it's a no-brainer to me: default the Name the bookmark with code at the line the time the bookmark is placed with an option to override it.

Frankly I think bookmarks should float with the content of the line where it was placed, rather than staying fixed on a absolute line number, which is more about how bookmarks are implemented in PHP ED (alright, and all other edtiors) rather how a user would want it.

Think about it: If you put a physical bookmark in a physical cookbook for a certain recipe, and someone came by and ripped out 5 pages earlier in the book, would your want your bookmark to now be placed 5 pages early in the book??? The bookmarks is about content, not about line numbers. Its just that they have been implemented using line numbers for the convenience of the editor rather than the user!

You don't place a bookmark because you are interested in that physical line number, you use it because you are interested in what's on that line! The bookmark should travel with the line, even if you cut and paste the elsewhere! (but not it you copy it).

I suggest you add code that changes the line number associated with a bookmark when the content on that line number gets shifted.

I'm telling you, if "Smart Bookmarks" are not at the top of your new features list, you are missing the boat!

[img]http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:5TJtU3qCH8_sLM:http://www.adoceric.com/images/digital/Jedi-vs-Sith.jpg[/img]
Guru master

I'm not sure I follow the discussion here... The bookmarks move along if you add/remove lines, so isn't that what you are talking about?
So if I understand it correctly what you want is that the bookmark name contains the line number and that that is updated when the bookmark moves, right?
It seems like a nice suggestion to me (although I never use the menu, just the keyboard shortcuts).
What might also be cool is (if it's possible to do a tooltip for a menu item) that a tooltip could popup showing you the code when you hover the bookmark menu entry.

(I sure would like the TODO stuff though)

Blizz wrote:
I'm not sure I follow the discussion here... The bookmarks move along if you add/remove lines, so isn't that what you are talking about?

Yes! However, I just did a quick test and that appears to be how it works now! I only got on the the movable bookmark shtick because Dmitri brought it up as an issue.

Again, my main request is that bookmarks have names and that they default to the line of code on that line.

When you drop (or re-drop) a bookmark, the name should change to default to the line of code on the new bookmarked line.
Bookmark enhancement request