NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Block Select and line length

When Selecting a block it will select only the columns to the width of the last line instead of the width of the longest line.

This is to the longest line.

This is to the line after the longest. See how it will cut off the end of the longer lines.

I would prefer it to grab to the end of the longest line instead the last line. I know if I turn off Cursor Beyond EOL it works but I don't want that option on all the time. Is there another option that I am missing?
Site Admin

Column-selection holds exactly the same number for columns for each line. It's also known as rectangular selection and works this way in PhpED. I have never heard of any editor that would extend for the "longest line". If you need all the text, just use regular selection, not rectangular.

In the previous editors I have used it did not stop at the ends of the lines at all. It would allow you to select a block beyond the end of the lines and would enter either a new line or white space.

This is what I was expecting but it only works with Cursor beyond end of line set on.

As previously stated I don't want Cursor beyond end of line set on at any other time except when I am selecting a block.

Will you add an option that will allow the blocks to extend beyond the eol even if cursor beyond eol is not set or make the block select go to the longest eol of the block?

Some other shots of other programs. [thumbnails]

Microsoft Word Cursor beyond eol is on by default in word

Text Pad Cursor beyond eol is on
Site Admin

he he. Text-block selection is always between starting point and current cursor position. So after all you're asking to allow moving the cursor beyound end of line while "cursor beyound EOL" setting is off. What's your point there?

I didn't understand you last post so I am not sure I am expressing myself clearly.

Quote:
Text-block selection is always between starting point and current cursor position.

That is exactly the way I expected it to work.

But it didn't!

I selected to the far right in this picture and it stopped at the eol of the last line I was selecting.

This is not "starting point and current cursor position". Notice the cursor isn't even in the picture.

This is the original:
Code:
$titleCodes = array(
    "  " => "  ",
    "01" => "DR",
    "02" => "MR",
    "03" => "MRS",
    "04" => "MISS",
    "05" => "MR & MRS",
    "06" => "DR & MRS",
    "07" => "DRS",
    "08" => "MS"
);

This is what I wanted to select: Cool
Code:
DR",   
MR",   
MRS",   
MISS", 
MR & MRS
DR & MRS
DRS",   
MS" 

This is all I can get with the option unchecked even if I slide the mouse all the way to the right side of the screen. It stopps at the end of the last line. The last column of the last row. Shocked
Code:
DR"
MR"
MRS
MIS
MR
DR
DRS
MS"

I would prefer the beginging to end selection over the above solution any day. Very Happy I just thought I would give you a solution that somewhat matches the current pattern of operation.

This nagged me too.
I know the behaviour you describe from MS Visual Studio, and thats the way it should work...
Not a top priority for me, but would be cool to have this feature improved.

nezzo wrote:
This nagged me too.
I know the behaviour you describe from MS Visual Studio, and thats the way it should work...
Not a top priority for me, but would be cool to have this feature improved.

I agree that this is the way it should work - allowing selection beyond EOL when setting a rectangular selection.

However, trying a few other editors I see that the behaviour in PhpED is used by at least some others. And for VS 2005 you can get either behaviour depending on how you time the ALT+Drag sequence. I don't know if this is a bug or a feature ...
Block Select and line length