NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Binding to localhost

Hello,

I just installed phpdock ... what I found was that any computer on the network can access it while running, at ip:8001

Is there any way to force the server to bind only to localhost, and/or block external access to the application?
Site Admin

yes indeed, it listens on 0.0.0.0:8001 and 127.0.0.1:8001, but you can block it easily in the firewall (Deny inbound connections on 8001 port)

Firewall modifications could be a pain for client systems, and if the intent is to prevent clients from networking the app, it's going to be pretty easy to bypass.

I haven't actually tried it, but I'd imagine you could lock it down with PHP.

I'm thinking a comparison of $_SERVER['HTTP_CLIENT_IP'] or $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] with $_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"]. If they match then the viewer is on the machine running the dock, otherwise it's networked. It should be then easy enough to knock up a friendly "This version does not support network use - Please contact us to upgrade this installation" message.

I'll have a tinker when I get a chance and see if it works. Will post back any code I come up with.

Cheers

As promised ...

Code:
      if($_SERVER['SERVER_ADDR'] === $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']) {
         echo "Access Allowed";
      } else {
         exit("Sorry ... Remote access not allowed.");
      }

Of course, the suitability of this depends on your concern. If you're just worried about the security of your system, then the firewall approach is your best bet.

If you just want to lock down an app from external access, then the above should work if you use it at the start of each functional page (adjusted to take the action you need of course).

Cheers
Binding to localhost