NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
[resolved] Apache and v5.2 debugger module

Hi,

if upgrading to the debug-module of v5.2 I get a 'failed' if trying to start the apache (no restart of course).

My system:
SUSE Linux 2.6.13
Apache 2.0.54
PHP 5.2.3
ZEND Optimizer v3.3.0a

Like with the last update (where everything works fine) I put the Linux-Module into /usr/lib/php/extensions/ (root:root 755)

PHP.ini is set up like before with
Code:
zend_extension=/usr/lib/php/extensions/dbg.so-5.2.x

above any line containing zend - stuff.

Any hints?

Cheers
Punga

Hi Dmitri,

There's nothing in the error_log. It attempts to start (I get the usual certificate error), but then it dies silently.
I re-installed 5.0.1 and I re-installed the dbg file (debugger/server/Linux/dbg-3.2.7-Linux/x86/dbg.so-5.2.x) and apache starts just fine.
File sizes differ:
5.0.1: 93808
5.2.0: 86764

I'll stick w/ the 5.0.1 version (provided it works w/ 5.2.0?)

Thanks!
Joe K.
Site Admin

Quote:
5.0.1: 93808
5.2.0: 86764

Looks like you took debugger module that is not compatible with your Linux.

PhpED 5.2 comes with the following PHP-5.2 modules for Linux platforms:

Linux-2.4:
93808, exactly the same as one shipped with 5.0.1

Linux-2.6 x86:

Linux-2.6 x86_64:

Dmitri,

I took the 2.6 version because I am running a 2.6 kernel. uname -a gives:

2.6.18-5-686 #1 SMP Sun Aug 12 21:57:02 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

I'll stick w/ the 2.4 version since it works. I could test a new 2.6 version for you if it is compatible with my kernel.

Thanks for the info!

Joe
Site Admin

kernel is finally not the thing that makes difference, it's GLIBC makes.
What glibc version is installed on your system?

Dmitri,
Here's my glibc info:

sh-3.1# ldd --version
ldd (GNU libc) 2.3.6
Copyright (C) 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Is this an old version?

thanks,
Joe
Site Admin

if it's rpm-based linux, the command below would be more appropriate I think
rpm -qa|grep glibc

if it is 2.3.6, dbg for 2.6 won't work with it, you'd need glibc 2.6 or at least 2.5.

It is indeed 2.3.6, so I guess I need to use the 2.4 version.

Thanks for your help!

Joe
Having Same Debugger Problems as Well

It would be nice if the instructions for installing the debugger were clearer about which version of the debugger people should use and package all recent versions of the debugger in the nuSphere 5.2 distribution.

In the instructions and in your explanation here you make the distinction that the Kernel version determines the version of dbg.so to use--then you say what really matters is the glibc version.

Huh?

I think you need to document this more clearly or lots of people will get confused.

It's particularly bad because if they follow the direction, they will have a problem and no amount of reading and re-reading will set them straight. Not everybody checks the forums...

In addition, having several versions of of the debugger named dbg.so.5.2.x and only including he most recent version in the distribution (which overwrites the older dbg.so.5.2.x in C:\Program Files\nusphere\phped\debugger\server\platform on upgrade) makes it easy to get confused and hard to roll back if you follow the instructions given, overwrite the previous version of dbg.so-5.2.x then find out it's not the kernel that matters but the version of glibc.

Luckily I had an the right version of dbg.so-5.2.x sitting around, otherwise it would have been more searching to find the right file.
Site Admin

Quote:
It would be nice if the instructions for installing the debugger were clearer about which version of the debugger people should use and package all recent versions of the debugger in the nuSphere 5.2 distribution

I'm not sure what you're about.
All the recent debugger modules are always comming with the most recent version of NuSphere PhpED.

Quote:
In the instructions and in your explanation here you make the distinction that the Kernel version determines the version of dbg.so to use

Would you please point me out to at least one location, where I said that linux kernel version plays _ANY_ role?

Quote:
I think you need to document this more clearly or lots of people will get confused.

Right. A lot of people already got confused. Next build will come with table below:
Code:
+===============+===========+==================+==============================+===========+
| Operating     | Bitness   | Requirements     | Archive or                   | Directory |
| system        | and CPU   |                  | Location                     | inside    |
+---------------+-----------+------------------+------------------------------+-----------+
| Linux         | x86, 32   | glibc >= 2.2     | dbg-3.2.7-Linux-2.4.tar.gz   | x86       |
| Linux         | x86, 32   | glibc >= 2.6     | dbg-3.2.7-Linux-2.6.tar.gz   | x86       |
| Linux         | x86, 64   | glibc >= 2.6     | dbg-3.2.7-Linux-2.6.tar.gz   | x86_64    |
+---------------+-----------+------------------+------------------------------+-----------+
| Windows       | x86, 32   | TS PHP, crt6     | Windows\x86                              |
| Windows       | x86, 32   | NTS PHP, crt6    | Windows\x86_NTS                          |
| Windows       | x86, 32   | NTS PHP, crt8    | Windows\x86_NTS_VC8                      |
| Windows       | x86, 64   | TS PHP, crt8     | Windows\x86_64                           |
| Windows       | x86, 64   | NTS PHP, crt8    | Windows\x86_64_NTS                       |
| FreeBSD       | x86, 32   | v.4 or higher    | dbg-3.2.7-FreeBSD-4.tar.gz   | x86       |
| FreeBSD       | x86, 32   | v.6 or higher    | dbg-3.2.7-FreeBSD-6.tar.gz   | x86       |
| FreeBSD       | x86, 64   | v.6 or higher    | dbg-3.2.7-FreeBSD-6.tar.gz   | x86_64    |
| Sun (solaris) | sparc, 32 | v.8 or higher    | dbg-3.2.7-SunOS-5.8.tar.gz   | sparc     |
| Sun (solaris) | sparc, 64 | v.8 or higher    | dbg-3.2.7-SunOS-5.8.tar.gz   | sparc_64* |
| Sun (solaris) | x86, 32   | v.10 or higher   | dbg-3.2.7-SunOS-5.10.tar.gz  | x86       |
| Sun (solaris) | x86, 64   | v.10 or higher   | dbg-3.2.7-SunOS-5.10.tar.gz  | x86_64    |
| NetBSD        | x86, 32   | v.3 or higher    | dbg-3.2.7-NetBSD-3.tar.gz    | x86       |
| NetBSD        | x86, 64   | v.3 or higher    | dbg-3.2.7-NetBSD-3.tar.gz    | x86_64    |
| OpenBSD       | x86, 32   | v.4 or higher    | dbg-3.2.7-OpenBSD-4.tar.gz   | x86       |
| OpenBSD       | x86, 64   | v.4 or higher    | dbg-3.2.7-OpenBSD-4.tar.gz   | x86_64    |
| Mac OSX       | x86, 32   | v.10.4 or higher | dbg-3.2.7-MacOSX-10.4.tar.gz | x86       |
| Mac OSX       | ppc, 32   | v.10.4 or higher | dbg-3.2.7-MacOSX-10.4.tar.gz | powerpc   |
+===============+===========+==================+==============================+===========+

Quote:
In addition, having several versions of of the debugger named dbg.so.5.2.x and only including he most recent version in the distribution

It looks like you're under impression that we distribute various versions of the debugger together. No, you're not right. What comes with PhpED is just one version of the debugger, 3.2.7 at the moment.
Although, debugger for php 5.2.x for different unix and/or linux version is named the same dbg.so-5.2.x (not dbg.so.5.2.x)