NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Anyone up for a group buy?

I'm about to purchase to NuSphere Professional. If I buy the four pack license, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in buying a license off me. I only need one license, but don't see the point of spending $249 for 1 license when 4 only costs $447.

Anyone interested? Would sell a license for $110.

Wow. IMHO its kinda rude to post in the manufacturers own forums, a request to the manufacturers own clients and supporters, to subvert their pricing for a single license to benefit you, when most of us here, myself included, respected the work and effort put into such a great product to pay full price, out of my own pocket, and proudly do so.

Strictly my opinion.

To each his own I guess.

Glass half empty much?

How about the developer getting $200 more for a piece of software that costs him no more to develop four copies of than it does one.

How about him getting $200 more from 4 people as opposed to not getting any from 4 people that decide it's too much?

Why would the developer offer 4 licenses for a price if he didn't want to sell them at that?

How is this any different from me going to Sam's Club, buying a shopping cart of candy bars, and then going to the local school and selling them cheaper than the local gas station does?

It's called a group buy for a reason. People come together, pool their purchasing power to get a product for a cheaper price than if they purchased separately.

I'd like to add that I've bought or been responsible for buying over a dozen licenses of the software. Since my last change of employer I have been using NuSphere because I don't own a license for myself, but now have the money to buy one.

Last edited by loki_racer on Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

I agree with you Dracos.

Loki-racer, I suspect Nusphere's intention is to sell the licenses to one organisation, why else would it be called NuSphere PhpED 5.9 Team4 Professional? Even if there was a loophole in there, I would not want to have my license tied to someone else when one day I want to buy an upgrade again Confused

If you are serious about your PHP development, just fork out the money. PhpED is worth every cent.

dmitri's welcome to chime in and say this wasn't the "spirit" behind the package. I would like to change my offer. I'm looking to create a team of three other developers. The buyin to the team will cost $110 and in return you get a new NuSphere license.

I value NuSphere greatly and would love to support the developer with a purchase, however, I feel that $110 is closer to the right price point than $250 is. Especially since there haven't been any major updates that I notice since my last purchase of ver. 5.2.

Whether you justify it to yourself or not, my point was that in my opinion it was rude to ask for it on the manufacturer's own web site, which is put up, maintained, and provided free of charge for their community. Not for profiteering on their product. Bad form.

Dracos wrote:
Whether you justify it to yourself or not, my point was that in my opinion it was rude to ask for it on the manufacturer's own web site, which is put up, maintained, and provided free of charge for their community. Not for profiteering on their product. Bad form.

ninjawords.com/?q=profiteering - Might want to look that up before using it as "shock" term. I wouldn't be making a dime off this transaction. Sure I might be getting a piece of software for myself at a discount, but I wouldn't make a dime.

I'm also not justifying it to myself. I'm not justifying it to you either. I simply made an offer for people to get a piece of software legally, at a discount.

This will be my last response to Dracos and the like.

Thanks for the link. Definition fits the situation perfectly.

The suggestion of this thread is an affront to every software developer seeking to sell his product, not just to this manufacturer. As in every product, not just software, the customer does not get to set the price - they simply get to vote yes or no on the purchase. And, that is their only legal recourse.

Unfortunately, there are many, many people who believe possession is 100% of the law. And this includes entire countries of people and cultures that don't share our (Western) values. This is most obvious in countries that refuse to bring their laws into line with common international beliefs on ownership.

There are reasons software manufacturers choose to offer multiple copy prices. And it would be their right even if it made no sense, but it does. That the writer argues otherwise simply shows his lack of understanding. That he would make his entry here is even more telling. That he probably doesn't have the legal right to make the offer he has made is the simple truth.

does the terms and conditions of the sale of these multipacks say that the multipack must be owned by the same entity(ie a company or person) in perpetuity that made the purchase? (ie not split).

Don't bother arguing with the people claiming my request was illegal or immoral.

I purchased this morning and NuSphere dropped the price this afternoon. Amazing timing.