NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Another Twist on MySQL Connection

Brand new to PhpED. Am trying to find a decent PHP debugger and using the EVAL copy of PhpED 5.9. Want to see if I can get it to work with my local web dev setup (WinXP machine accessing my Linux XAMPP web server and/or MySQL database).

For starters, I think the wizard would have been fine but running an older version of Linux and the glibc-2.2 is not supported well apparently, and so the wizard tells me. So that makes running the 3rd party webserver option a problem until I either recomplie a newer kernel or just update my Linux box which I have already downloaded openSUSE 11 with the intention to do eventually.

However, for the time being, I need to know if using the built in web server in PhpED can still connect to the MySQL server on Linux XAMPP machine? I would think so but am hitting what appears to be permission issues. FWIW, my XAMPP MySQL is "open to the network". All this is behind a router and firewall, so not concerned about security, plus I am the only user. Note the firewall is ZoneAlarm running on the WinXP machine. Probably need to check the firewall software on the Linux box ... will do that.

Have setup the PhpED DC Client with the following:
Hostname: 192.168.x.x (IP of Linux box)
Port: 3306
Login: a valid MySQL username with lots of privs
Password: the pw for that username

MySQL is running with that user HOST as % so it should recognize anything, but I added one specifically for the Linux box IP, same user, same pw and when that did not work, added one for the WinXP IP, same user, same pw ... just in case. Still NO JOY!

I am getting the following from the DB Client when trying to access that database.

"Could not connect using: username@192.168.x.x"
"1130 - Host '192.168.x.y' is not alloed to connect to this MySQL server".

where 192.168.x.y is the IP of the WinXP machine running PhpED.

Would like to at least be able to do this, during my eval period to help determine if I want to purchase phED.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

LarryG
Answered my own questions

Well ... one of the first forums I have ever posted on where I got ZERO responses in three days or so!

Oh well, either everyone thought I was an idiot Shocked or simply did not have enough to go on to respond.

Does not matter ... got my problems solved finally but like so many things involving bugs and configuration anomolies, you just gotta roll up the sleeves and heal thyself!

In my case, even though I have looked at countless GOOGLE hits about MYSQL SERVER CONNECTIONS and UPDATE CLIENT APPS, I simply never found the right one, and several of those hits were this forum. It was not until I stumbled onto a message Dimitri had posted for someone else along the same lines back in 2006 did the lights come on.
need-help-connecting-to-mysql-t2378.html?highlight=help connecting mysql

Figured it was my antiquated LINUX box configuration which is running a recent version of XAMPP. Thought for sure something was awry in the permissions arena between XAMPP, Linux proper, and PhpED running on my WinXP machine.

Turned out to be the PhpED's out-of-date LIBMYSQL.DLL problem. Must have missed the BIG MESSAGE BOX somewhere that spelled it out for me.

I grabbed the latest connector download from MySQL website (http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/c/6.0.html), dropped it on top of the existing LIBMYSQL.DLL in C:\Program Files\NuSphere\PhpED and that made all things better!

And the answer to my main question ... YES ... PhpED does connect to my remote XAMPP MySQL server even though the SRV Local Web Server was running on my WinXP machine? That way I can delay rebuilding my Linux box to SuSe 11.1 for a while.

Therefore, will continue evaluating PhpED some more but so far I like what I see. Just gotta decide if I want to wait for VS2010 to come out which supposedly will now have PHP support natively.

SOOOO ... if you see any error messages from PhpED or from the Command Line about "updating MySQL client apps", give the DLL a try. No registration required ... just copy over what is there with the new one from the MySQL website and that is all she wrote!

LarryG

I'm sorry you didn't get any responses. Had I been online any time during the last week, I would've responded to you and told you what to do, because I had this same problem. Mine was giving me a different error message, though, something about unmatched versions I believe.

I think the reason for this is the same reason that PHP no longer packages MySQL connectivity libraries with it. I think MySQL changed something about their usage and/or distribution rights. I never really looked into the why, but I noticed that nothing bundles libraries for the most recent version of MySQL.

Sorry I wasn't here to help you out sooner.
Thanks KM

Thanks for the note KillerM.

Given I just found PhpED, and giving it a whirl, am sure I am missing some things that more seasoned users have found. Almost have my Linux box rebuilt with the new openSUSE 11.1 with XAMPP. That should keep the PhpEd 3rd Party Web Server links happy. My older SUSE setup (v8.0) had an old glibc which PhpEd did not like for the 3rd party functionality. Hopefully it will like the latest. Have seen and read some of the "features" PhpEd has but so far ... IT AIN'T ALL BAD. Keeping my fingers crossed. I was premature in stating I could reach my remote MySQL DB using the local PhpEd webserver. You can definitely reach it as a DB CLIENT but when running your script in local debug, it appears to know ZIP about any DB Clients. Live and learn.

Thanks again.
LarryG
Another Twist on MySQL Connection