NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Another Source Control Thread

One of the things that's always bothered me about PHPEd's Project Properties dialog box is that the Source Control option is a dropdown and not a checkbox. If you only have two options (none, CVS) isn't a checkbox the preferred representation?

Since it has always been a drop-down selection, I've assumed that NuSphere intended to support multiple Source Control providers. I've been using PHPEd since the 3.x days and have been disappointed that while PHPEd has kept up with the changes in PHP, it's seriously lacking in support for source control options.

There's no question that PHPEd has become a standard for PHP development in the enterprise, but to assume that enterprise developers only use CVS is a little short-sighted in my opinion.

Subversion has risen to prominence in recent years, and git is attracting large projects as well (Perl has recently been migrated to git). In the enterprise, Perforce has also become a force to be reckoned with.

Even Microsoft has recognized the fact that they'll never get everyone to use SourceSafe/TeamSystem in their development environment and allow others via the SCC plug-in interace.

Perhaps future versions of PHPEd could support an SCC-type plug-in system....Then if my team is required to use SVN, git or Perforce, we have the ability to write the necessary plug-in .... which could then be made available to the community.

I don't expect NuSphere to support every version control system, but give the community to the opportunity to use our version control system of choice.

Thanks for listening.

Mike
Site Admin

Quote:
There's no question that PHPEd has become a standard for PHP development in the enterprise, but to assume that enterprise developers only use CVS is a little short-sighted in my opinion.

Subversion has risen to prominence in recent years, and git is attracting large projects as well (Perl has recently been migrated to git). In the enterprise, Perforce has also become a force to be reckoned with.

If your check FAQ section, you'll see that Subversion is supported. It's done with greate Tortoise SVN plugin that makes SVN integrated into Windows shell. So, if you need another source-control system, ask authors to integrate it into Windows shell (tortoise sources are available) and it will be supported by PhpED automatically.

So, just to confirm, it's not possible to integrate Perforce at present?

Assuming not, how disappointing, I was hoping I simply had to fiddle with the various cvs options

in our team we also use git for versioning.
please integrate it if it is possible....
Site Admin

command-line interfaces of any versioning system can be integrated in the same way as suggested here:
tip-phped-and-sourcesafe-t2370.html?highlight=vss

envSoft wrote:
So, just to confirm, it's not possible to integrate Perforce at present?

Assuming not, how disappointing, I was hoping I simply had to fiddle with the various cvs options

Just to update I have been accessing Perforce via the right click 'Shell Menu' option in PhpED

It would be great if PhpED supports MSSCCI so it would work with more version control tools.

Thanks.

Catherine Sea
Another Source Control Thread