NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Adding a folder with files to a project

I have completed a project, and need to start another. The framework I have developed is largely reuseable, but I can not figure out how to add a folder containing previously generated code to a new project. I can copy a group of files, but it does not add folders. The only method I can figure out, is to manually create each folder, then copy the files to the project, where they get mixed in with the files not in folders, and then I have to sort through the mess to figure out which ones belong in the folder, and then drag them, which copies them leaving originals in the wrong place, so they have to be found a second time and deleted.

I have a feeling there is a way to do this quickly and gracefully.

Another issue, I might have made a mistake when I started, but the IDE pointed me in the direction of the phped/projects folder for storing the project file, but htdocs for the project files (in the server home directory). This separation of storage locations makes it impossible to simply copy an entire directory with the entire project intact, and then rename the project folder to create an entirely new project starting with a completed site to modify. If I copy the htdocs folder, the files are not part of a project, and manually adding them I run into the problem I stated above. It seems like they should all be stored in the same place, does this make sense? Or am I missing some feature that allows the duplication of an entire project, which is a logical feature to have in this business I would think.

Thanks,
Charles
Site Admin

Charles, projects in PHPED are subtrees... You can take any existing project, change its ROOT directory and it will contain new files. No copy are needed at all. You already have your files somewhere ? Good. Create new project and set ROOT directory pointing there.
Regarding htdocs and related stuff, if you want to develop using Apache web server it's up to you to take care of keeping files in the web tree. You may want to create multiply Virtual Servers with different documentroot directories (one for each project) or have all the projects in just one tree. Also you may want to have many (or all the) projects in the same workspace. Many people found it friendly...
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
I am not getting it yet

Sorry its not clear, I don't really understand how the "project" and "workspace" function and how they they are useful to organizing work.

First off, I think I did not explain that when I reuse files, I actually need to modify them with content for the new site, therefore, I think I do need to copy them I would think.

So then I should copy the folder containing the completed site to a new directory for the new site, then, in project properties when I point the root directory to the new directory, and it will automatically show the entire file structure that I copied, and I can modify from there.

Then I have to change the WEB server settings to point the newly created directory as HOME in order to allow the site to be seen and debugged.

That should work (correct me if I am wrong). So the only thing I am confused about now, is the "Workspace", what is that all about?

Now that I think I see how Project and Home directory must be manipulated to change from one project to another, what is the function of Workspace? How is that a useful funtion?
Charles

Consider a workspace is a way to group multiple projects. For example you could create a "Work" workspace to put your projects related to work. You could then have another workspace called "Personal" to group your personal projects. I personally use them a lot for organization and to group each client I am working with to a workspace since there will be multiple projects per client. Hopefully that makes sense. Smile
Adding a folder with files to a project