NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
access denied when trying to edit and save php.ini

I'm thinking this is a quirky Windows thing, but when I open (edit) php.ini through Settings > Tools > External Tools and try to apply some edits I get an access denied message and can't save. I also tried to edit directly through Windows Explorer with phped not running and get the same results when trying to save. Is there a reason why as far as a running process which I can't find why the file might be in use and not editable?
Sometimes I'll get the denial on other files (again, a Windows 7 'feature'), but this is a new one for php.ini which I've always been able to edit before using phped and on a straight install of php. I'm on Windows7 64bit and the administrator.

Thanks!

In case anyone has this same issue, I found a solution. I'd imagine this applies to any Windows access denied problem (sorry I made my post here. It is a Windows issue after all and not phped).

I had to open notepad as administrator to make my edits (right click and Run As Administrator). What I learned was Windows protects her files in the Programs directory and makes you jump through hoops to edit them even if you're admin on your own machine.

I hope this helps someone else.
access denied when trying to edit and save php.ini