NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic

dmitri wrote:
Ask Samba guys. I have no idea what causes Samba to drop any bits on the remote file system. Definitely PhpED can not do this.
Even though it "works" in some other applications, it does not mean the problem is in PhpED.
Why does it drop it with PhpED but it doesn't drop it with any other editor?

(tested with three different ones this week)

Gingko
Site Admin

_any_ is a very doubtful word in this sentence.
If you want to figure out why _Samba_ drops permission bits in one case and does not drop in another, you have to ask Samba guys.
Also, as I mentioned earlier, you have an opportunity to avoid using Samba at all and edit files directly using SSH/SFTP which is more natural for Unix platform

PS. Since you're banned in Пoogle and perhaps in the most parts of the internet, I found the following post for you:
https://superuser.com/questions/541270/strange-permission-changes-when-saving-file-on-a-samba-partition-from-a-windows
specifically -- Samba drops execution bits for at least TWO other tools while Notepad is _the_only_ tool that Samba obeys. Explanation is very simple -- Notepad for some bogus reason sets [A] archive bit. Neither PhpED nor the other tools I know of bother to manipulate this attribute bit. Indeed: you open a file, you save some content into it, then you close it. Why on Earth you'd want to set or reset [A]rchive bit at all?

Last edited by dmitri on Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

dmitri wrote:
_any_ is a very doubtful word in this sentence.
Maybe.

But I haven't found any other so far, in more than 15 years.

dmitri wrote:
If you want to figure out why _Samba_ drops permission bits in one case and does not drop in another, you have to ask Samba guys.
Also, as I mentioned earlier, you have an opportunity to avoid using Samba at all and edit files directly using SSH/SFTP which is more natural for Unix platform

This is strange.

I've always seen the network shares (using Samba or not) like a Ferrari, as opposed to SSH/SFTP, which looks much more like a horse cart by comparison.

Because it constantly needs manual sync, which is a BIG drawback that I like to avoid as much as possible.

Gingko
Site Admin

Sync? What Sync? Who said you need to sync anything? Do you really want to have local copy? No, of course not. Then you don't need any syncs.
Work with remote files directly and forget about Samba as a NIGHTMARE.
Re-read my previous reply, I added important info for *you*

dmitri wrote:
Sync? What Sync? Who said you need to sync anything? Do you really want to have local copy? No, of course not. Then you don't need any syncs.
Work with remote files directly and forget about Samba as a NIGHTMARE.

Ok.

When I run the Project settings wizard, on its 6th page, I have the following :

Here I can see only two relevant choices (ignoring the “other tools” choice, which I think it would need … some other tools Confused):
  • Publishing account
  • Project directory is shared with web site

The first choice implies having a local directory from which modifications have to be made, after what it is necessary to synchronize with the remote server.
The second choice is the Samba one.

If there is a third one, I would be happy to have the relevant documentation page pointed to me, because it never cames to my knowledge, and it doesn't seem to be offered (at least clearly) by the Project settings wizard.
“other tools” anyway, maybe?
Which ones in that case?

Gingko
Site Admin

Ok, I see, half read everywhere.
How about words starting with ";or" ?

I'd highly recommend you start the Wizard from the very first page, read them carefully one by one.
As I understand you started with wrong choice on the 1st page. You need 4th option here if you want to setup *remote* project

dmitri wrote:
…, I found the following post for you:
htt​ps://superuser.com/questions/541270/strange-permission-changes-when-saving-file-on-a-samba-partition-from-a-windows
specifically -- Samba drops execution bits for at least TWO other tools while Notepad is _the_only_ tool that Samba obeys. Explanation is very simple -- Notepad for some bogus reason sets [A] archive bit. Neither PhpED nor the other tools I know of bother to manipulate this attribute bit. Indeed: you open a file, you save some content into it, then you close it. Why on Earth you'd want to set or reset [A]rchive bit at all?
Ok, thank you very much.

Effectively, setting “map archive = no” in the Samba configuration file seems to have the execute bit not dropped.

Gingko
Site Admin

okay, once this problem is solved, can you please try remote projects too?

dmitri wrote:
okay, once this problem is solved, can you please try remote projects too?

I did.

This seems to work, although I should test it longer.

I must tell that it has been difficult to set because of the failure of the upload or execution of the dbg-wizard script on the first tries during the execution of the Project settings wizard.
Especially (according to the error messages) it tried to upload or execute using inconsistent paths like /path/to/directory/dbg-wizard.php/dbg-wizard.php or something like that.
It finally worked after 3 ou 4 PSW retries without any significant changes, so I don't understand what happened.

Gingko
About PhpED IDE and file permissions