NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
A few suggestions I thought you might be interested in.

Hi,

As I've been using phpEd, I've noted down some suggestions that I think would make it that much easier to use. They're just listed in the order that I discovered them.

Maybe some of you might like to comment on them, but it would be great to see them included in a future build. Hopefully soon, especially the line highlighting ones? Smile.

- It would be good to be able to highlight whole lines using one click in the left margin, when the gutter is off (having to click and drag to highlight a line is a real pain). The arrow cursor should also change to point to the right when the mouse is over the margin - a visual sign that you are in the right place to highlight a line is really useful.

- Also, you should be able to highlight more than one line by pointing in the left margin with the mouse and dragging up or down. This is just normal behaviour for a text editor.

- If a line wraps to the following line in the editor window, selecting it only selects part of it (i.e. one physical line at a time). It would be good to be able to select logical lines as well as selecting physical lines e.g. if a code line spans 3 lines when word wrap is on, if you double click in the left margin against any of the 3 lines, all 3 physical lines should be selected, not just the first one.

- At the moment, you can either select whole words or individual characters. It would be good to be able to select whole words only when you double-click on the first word (like Word does), i.e. if you double-click to select a word then keep dragging the cursor, whole words continue to be selected rather than individual characters, but if you just drag the cursor, only single characters are selected. Perhaps, instead of having a setting to switch the selection mode, it could be intrinsic.

- If you are in debugging mode and you change some code and save the file, it would be good if the new code is immediately available to be tested. At the moment, you need to stop and re-start the debugging session to register the change.

- When selecting a variable name, it would be useful to have a setting to control whether the leading $ is selected as well.

- It would be nice to be able to see the values of constants too. The only way to see them at the moment is to open the code explorer, which doesn't show the value unless you hover over a name. It would be far more useful to have constants in a separate tab (like the locals tab) that shows both the constant name and value in separate columns. It would also be really useful to be able to see a constant's value in a tooltip when you hover over it's name in the code window in debug mode.

- It would be good to have a stand alone colour selector (like in the body tag generator dialog) so we can select some text or just position the cursor in a css file and it is replaced with the hex code of the selected colour.

- If word wrap is on, there shouldn't really be an horizontally scrollbar should there?

- It would be interesting to have a project statistics tab in the project properties dialog that shows stuff like how many files, folders and lines of code are in the project, maybe split by file type.

- It would be good to have an option to have the Find Text function wrap to the start of the file, when you press F3 after no more targets can be found for the search criteria.

- It would be nice to have a red cross on the right side of each tab in the editor to close the tab down - the same as Firefox has.
View user's profileFind all posts by Debbie-LeighSend private messageVisit poster's website

these sure are really interesting ideas!
A few suggestions I thought you might be interested in.