NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
5.6 performance under Wine on Leopard
Veteran

I'm trying out PhpED (build 5618) under Wine on OS X Leopard. Aside from spurious error messages at startup about the debugger that suggests I should reinstall the IDE (a problem I'll address later), everything seems to be working relatively well. The one truly annoying issue is speed... for example, when I open new windows, they take a second or two to draw. The worst symptom, however, is in the auto-completion pop-ups, which take 1-2 seconds to populate after the pop-up window itself appears. Under VMware Fusion (XP SP2) on the same computer with the same version of PhpED, they draw instantly. Needless to say, this slows me down quite a bit.

Of note, many other bits of the app, such as the menus, draw virtually instantly - fast enough that I can't tell a difference from when I use VMware.

Environment:
- Mac Pro 2.6 GHz quad-core Xeon
- Mac OS X 10.5.7
- Wine 0.9.51, installed via Darwine 1.1.21 from http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/
- X11 updated to 2.3.3.2, from http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki

Anyone here have some experience with this who can share some words of wisdom?
View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website

haven't tried on my OSX box but it runs perfectly in wine on Ubuntu Smile
Veteran

Okay, first of all, it turns out I was using an old version of Wine. It was actually when I re-read my post that I realized that Smile. I think I'd tried to do this a couple of times before, and my helper app that lets me launch Windows apps in Wine with a double-click was finding one of those older versions, which IIRC were directly from the Wine project. So I removed the older versions and fixed things to use the newer version I downloaded (1.0.1 stable). Since this version is set up with freetype, text looks *far* nicer, in some cases nicer than natively under Windows. And, most of the things that were sluggish are now a lot faster - except autocompletion menus :-/.

As a test, I tried installing Wine 1.1.21 (unstable), and it performs exactly the same with the autocompletion menus.

But then I had an idea. Noticing a lot of redraw activity elsewhere in the PhpED window while it was working on the autocompletion menu, I tried making the window smaller - and viola, reasonably fast autocomplete menus! When the window takes up most of the 1600x1200 screen, it's slow, but when I make the window closer to, say, 800x600, it works fast. Do you notice a change in draw speed between different window sizes? Any ideas on what I can do to speed things up at larger sizes?

FWIW, I have an NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics card.
View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website

PhpEd is faster on my dell laptop running Ubuntu at 1900x1200 than it is on my desktop windos PC. I will install it on my OSX box for comparison. I also have a GeForce card, not sure exactly which one, but its a dell xps 1730 so it'd be one of the faster ones Smile
Site Admin

Wine has performance problems when it works with windows graphic formats/windows images (DIB).

...from their site:

Quote:
Some 10 year old 'nice to have' items. Would like at least one for 1.2:

DIB Engine
^^^^^^^^^
Quartz Driver

Perhaps, version 1.2 will be faster.